Service valves

Is there anything in the building regs about service valves

being fitted as standard on new/recent builds?

If not there should be, saves so much time,

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

being fitted as standard on new/recent builds?

I hope not - they slow the flow considerably.

Full bore are a better, although more expensive, solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

being fitted as standard on new/recent builds?

They're a good idea in principle but, as far as I know, not mandatory.

But they're *only* a good idea if you use *decent* ones which actually

*work*! I've had lots of trouble with this cheap rubbish from Screwfix - some which don't turn off even though the screw turns, and some which pee water out round the screw when you turn it. Of course, they work when you first install them - it's when you come to turn them off a couple of years later that they fail!
Reply to
Roger Mills

I think there's something somewhere - possibly in the British Standards rather than Building Regs. I couldn't tell you where but it's probably one of the standards that's more generally about workmanship[1] in hot & cold water supply systems.

[1] I suppose that ought to be workpersonship
Reply to
John Stumbles

Don't have that problem in this part of London. Probably due to all the mains leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, that's got me worried. I've fitted quite a number of them over the years, but haven't had any cause yet to turn them off once the installation was all finished. I've got a large bag of them and I can't recall where I got it, but probably either BES or Wickes. So far they've been OK.

Only plumbing failues I can think of in recent years are the valve on my filling loop -- the knob snapped off after about

5 years (which was only the 3rd topping up). Also (different heating system) the isolating valves either side of a pump have failed twice in 8 years (started leaking). The valves allow you to change the pump without draining down. The pump has never failed, but I've had to drain down twice to replace the sodding valves!
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isn't it in what used to be the water bylaws?

Reply to
<me9

Yes, IIRC, that a cut off is required by the water regs.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On 07 Jun 2008 20:59:21 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

It is a good idea to operate all valves every 6-12 months. This makes it highly likely that they will operate when required.

Reply to
David Hansen

I do too. Trouble is, when only partially open on a high pressure supply, they do kick up a bit of noise.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Dave - look at "Flow Regulator Ball Valves" - surely a better fix than partially closing the valve:

Scroll about 3/4 down

Reply to
John

See also this:

John

Will they *increase* the mains pressure/flow? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

's'true. I was going to mention that. Actually I usually tune it for a compromise between ideal flow and not too much noise.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Dave - I don't understand your point. Flow and Pressure are related - but reducing a flow does not reduce static pressure.

Reply to
John

Read this entire post again - carefully. From the very top.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - John Stumbles would like to reduce the pressure - you would like more!

Reply to
John