Septic tank emptying - average cost?

jamma-plusser wrote:

In my case, the people who supplied it. Septic tank boys.
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 01:52:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Unfortunately I have no idea who supplied mine, so it'll be the yellow pages if necessary. Have now arranged for the tank to be emptied tomorrow, cost = 100. That's 20 quid up on last year. <sigh>
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:00:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
Incidentally, here's some pictures of the first tank, taken very soon after it was emptied last year. You can't really judge the depth from these, but here's a general 'looking down' pic:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/P4230010.jpg
This is a better picture of the the inlet pipe:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/P4230011.jpg
and the outlet pipe that goes to the secondary 'water only' tank:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/P4230017.jpg
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:32:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Incidentally, normally this inlet pipe isn't vivisble as it's under water:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/P4230011.jpg
The water and some floating solids usually finds a 'natural level' just below the layer of bricks that you can see.
The usual problem that I get with increasing regularity WHEN the tank needs emptying is that more and more solids get stuck between the inlet pipe and the U-shaped arrangement that you can see around it. This causes the toilet not to flush properly until I de-bung it by using a long 'stick' to prod down into the area that you see between the inlet pipe and the U-shaped arrangement around it. This frees up the solids (fecal matter and toilet paper) and lets the water flow back in that has backed up in the pipework leading from the toilet, etc.
It's been like this from time to time ever since I moved here a few years ago and is rather annoying. It can go for months without a hitch, then when it's getting to the point where it needs emptying it starts to need the above mentioned manual 'prodding' once a week or so, perhaps more often.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:43:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jamma-plusser) wrote:

It looks as if it might be made from sections of concrete pipe, which is a perfectly good method of making a septic tank, however it doesn't look to be very well designed.
The water level in the tank should be just below the bottom of the inlet pipe, not above it. Normally the inlet and output pipes terminate in a T so that solids enter the tank well below the surface and won't block the inlet. It would seem that solids are getting stuck because the water level is too high and the design of the inlet baffle is poor. A quick bodeg might be to cut a couple of inches off the end of the inlet pipe to give more room for the solids to disperse. You should check the level of the outlet from the second tank. If this is too high it will make the level in the first tank too high as well.
Normally a septic tank only needs to be emptied when the sludge at the bottom of the tank is getting close to the crust at the top, so I suspect that you are getting the tank emptied more often than necessary because of this poor design.
Bill

As a rank amateur and the one who has to unblock the damn thing I'm inclined to agree with you there. :-)

I should have mentioned, the inlet pipe had a few inches lopped off it soon after taking those photos.That helped a lot, but obviously it's now at the stage where the sludge build-up combined with the poor design is causing repeated blockages in the inlet area.

From what I can see, the outlet pipe from the second tank is also too high.

Indeed. I assume that it would, generally speaking, be a major undertaking to lower the outlet of the second tank?
Or is there any way that it could be 'fudged' or 'artificially' lowered so that the water level in both tanks is kept lower and hence resulting in less bockages in the first tank's inlet area?
Have now booked it to be emptied tomorrow morning.
Hello, if it helps our average cost is now £150 to empty a septic tank or empty a cesspit for up to 1,000 gallons, as long as we can get within 30 metres of your tank with our tanker that can be the size of a dustcart. Our cost are having to be increase due to rising fuel cost and sewage disposal charges from the Local Water Authorities. More information on Septic Tank emptying please visit us at www.thelcoalseptictankco.co.uk
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391144721.aspx
James wrote:

empty a cesspit for up to 1,000 gallons, as long as we can get within 30 metres of your tank with our tanker that can be the size of a dustcart. Our cost are having to be increase due to rising fuel cost and sewage disposal charges from the Local Water Authorities. More information on Septic Tank emptying please visit us at www.thelcoalseptictankco.co.uk

Think its a bit less than that here
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

How much was it in 2009 when the question was originally asked?
Andy Burns wrote:

bit less even that that ;-)
That sounds pretty reasonable.
Brian