Self Amalgamating Tape query

Hi All,

I have recently used SAT to insulate and waterproof some joints in 1.0mm 2 core cable. I used chock block for the joins (staggered) though with hindsight, I think twist and SAT would have been sufficient / neater (12V feeding a 26W LED navigation light)

I am confident of its insulating and weatherproofing capabilities, but I wonder, does it also stop the two cables coming apart.

I.e. if you were to take two lengths of 2 core double insulated flex, cut the ends flush. And then correctly wrap SAT around them.

Would it then be easy to pull the join apart? Or not?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

IME it's not massively strong (or more to the point, it is quite elastic) - but it does depend on how much you have and over what length etc.

Really the strength should come from elsewhere, and the SAT just doing the sealing and protecting.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 The wires beneath the SAT would pull apart but the SAT wouldn't necessarily fail until stretched too far.
Reply to
alan_m

Could you make a loop with the joint on the loop, make the loop solid by the use of insulating tape pulled very tight as you apply it?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Exactly you really should not be exerting forces on wiring anyway, alas this can make fatigue cracking of the insulation appear far faster. One assumes this is a marine application. If its near salt water, then all bets are off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa