Seek good-priced triphosphor fluorescent lights

Which shop does a good-value complete fluorescent light fixture (fixture including tubular bulb) in which the bulb has the newer 'triphosphor' coating rather than the older 'halophosphate' coating?

This is to light a study room at home, and does not need to be ceiling mounted. I don't know exactly what wattage this would be. 80W maybe?

A couple of light fixtures might help reduce shadows more than one light fixture.

I would prefer to get this from one of the big chains (B&Q, Homebase, Argos, etc) rather than by mail order.

Reply to
Andy

I think the terms triphosphor and good value are somewhat incompatible. Do you want electronic ballast or glowstart? What CCT tube do you want? Beware there, many fittings come with unsuitable colour temps such as

4000K etc.

TBH halophosphates are so cheap I'd get what fitting you want and buy a separate tube for it.

Power: you'd be hard pressed to find an 80w light nowadays, those have been obsolete many decades. What size room and light level, then maybe some ballpark for power can be suggested.

Also what mounting method? Bare light in the centre is about the worst option, ditto with added diffuser a close second.

There are a few advantages to 2 lights over 1. First smaller tubes are far easier to store a spare. 2nd the light spread is better and with smaller tubes its easier to use trough installation. 3rd you've (hopefully) got 2 light switches to give choice of brightness, which improves comfort and energy use. And finally if 1 light dies the other one still comes on, so failures become trivial only.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

These fittings are not only very cheap, but give very good light quality. They are triphosphor with electronic ballast and start rapidly without flicker. They are available in a range of sizes. I have several in my kitchen.

The supplier is extremely reputable, but is an internet supplier, I'm afraid.

Christian McArdle

The supplier is extremely reputable, but is an internet supplier, I'm afraid

TLC do have shops around South England and Wales:-

also have these fitted in my kitchen. The only thing I would say is that the longevity of the bulbs is shorter than expected and I have had a couple fail in less than 2 years. I presume this is because they are fast start. I would be interested to hear folk's views on this.

Reply to
deckertim

I have also found they do not last long ie less than 2 years. I have had

2 of the actual light fittings go as well as the tubes. Also connectors have changed so you need an adapter to connect old style to new style.
Reply to
.

I will say that I've had no problem with my 5 after 2 years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Also, they do replacement tubes (2 quid a pop), which is cheaper than most halogen bulbs. The entire light fitting isn't much more than a halogen bulb.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle