Secondary glazing for sash windows

I'm getting some stick at the moment from HID, because she got new curtains for our sash windows (Scottish cottage so small pane) and there's condensation which is the probable cause of mould appearing at the foot of these curtains.

I don't want to go down the double glazed route, but what about secondary glazing ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

unlikely to be effective unless sashes are hermetically sealed. Advice is to increase ventilation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Effective in which way? Helping with the condensation or helping with draught proofing i.e. general comfort level within the room?

I ask, being in a similar position particularly at the front of the house where we have four huge bay windows, two up and two down, all original Victorian single glazed sash, all draughty and all subject to condensation.

Whilst we too suffer from mould on the bottom of the curtains, it is the cold that is the major consideration.

Reply to
Graeme

If any physical measures are inconvenient to be done at the moment then you can purchase absorbing strips at numerous places that will absorb the pools of condensation rather than letting it actually run on to the curtains if that is what is happening. Eg.

Obviously this is only a treatment not a cure but might indicate to HID that you are on the case.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Wifey bought one of these :

It works. Almost filled the reservoir (handle) this morning. No, it does not help the problem, but is a straightforward way to deal with it.

Reply to
Graeme

If the sashes aren't well sealed he's already got ventilation, secondary glazing would largely prevent the moist air coming into contact with the coldest surface available (the glass) so it won't condense there, but you don't want the frame to become a replacement cold surface, so avoid aluminium.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you have a specific question?

I once fitted that cheap film stuff to old sliding sashes. It eliminated condensation completely, to my initial surprise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

shrink to fit film , works, looks horrendous , but does work.

Improved central heating and seals on sashes worked even better and dosen`t look horrendous, cost was though.

alanroberts931

It looks ok if done properly. The downsides are fragility & short lifetime.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You used to be able to get adhesive steel strips to stick to the window surround, and flexible magnetic strip to stick to rigid plastic sheet. Offer it up and it leaps into place. Not cheap, but simple and effective.

You need to get the right plastic sheet - the cheap stuff goes brittle after exposure to UV.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon