Sealant gun: use for newbies?

Would the "experts" on this newsgroup advise a newbie to use a sealant gun for sealants/caulk/mastics.

Last night I was struggling to put on some sealant round my door and window frames, using a squeezable tube of sealant. I nearly dislocated my thumb from the constant pressure I needed to apply and if gravity was against me, the job proved to be impossible.

Time to get a gun?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I'd be lost without my gun. I've been doing loads of caulking just lately, around the edge of architrave and along the tops of skirting etc. My technique perfected over several cartridges is: Don't use to bigger bead size, squeeze fairly hard on the trigger, move quickly. Have to hand a rag and a cup of water. Dip finger in water and smooth it down the caulk. Wipe surplus caulk off finger on to rag and repeat. Also wipe nozzle of cartridge after every run. If there are any holes remaining, leave it for a few hours then re-caulk those bits. Makes cutting in when painting much easier.

mark b

Reply to
mark b

I also use a sealant gun in place of the squeezable tube the OP uses ;-)

I prefer to /push/ the sealant gun /forwards/, forcing a bead of whatever /into/ the gap whilst neatly smooting it's self down, rather than pulling a bead out of the gun and then pushing that bead into the gap with my finger.

RT

Reply to
[news]

Always use a gun. Self propelled cartridges are s**te. They could be seriously improved by actually putting "handles" on the nozzles, so you can actually control the flow, but the brain dead designers have failed to do so, requiring you to grip hard and pull, giving you a choice of "off" and "empty bottle in 5 seconds" settings.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Absolutely. They cost pennies anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or, one-hundred pennies in Poundland! :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

As a matter of interest, did that sentence pass though voice recognition software?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Note though to OP - there are two different sizes.

The sealant tubes and guns sold in the sheds tend to be the smaller size

- though some sheds like the big B&Q's sell the larger ones.

Builder's merchants and more trade oriented sell the larger ones - they will take the smaller cartridges, so these make more sense

Reply to
chris French