Scythe?

I use a petrol strimmer to trim some grass that is difficult to access. It feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, so wondering about a scythe? I don't so much need a quality result, i'm just preventing wild overgrowing.

So do they require a load of skill and how easy are they to keep sharp enough for the task?

Reply to
R D S

Never used a scythe, but I do sometimes use a sickle for small areas, or even a pair of shears.

The sickle is this one. Nicely made, sharp serrated blade. Works OK.

Chris Hogg

They do require some skill - get an experienced user to show you how. When I used one, I kept on my belt a sharpening stone, in a water-filled plastic sheath. The blade needs to be kept _really_ sharp to work well.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I worked cutting grass for the council many years ago. Clearing a rough bit we used strimmers and facemasks to protect us from the dogshit. There was an old guy with the technique. He did as much clearing as three of us with strimmers. I used to drive past in wonder at a guy who did a normal looking lawn with a sythe.

Reply to
misterroy

I would have thought that a pair of shears (of the kind people used to use to trim hedges) would be easier to use. Or the long handled kind if you don't want to bend down.

Reply to
Max Demian

In article , R D S writes

Used one many many years ago and it is an acquired knack. They do require frequent sharpening. There must be a video on Youtube surely.

Reply to
bert

writes

surely.

I use one to keep a footpath clear through my field. There is certainly a knack but i reckon it's much faster than a strimmer. Get someone who knows how to show you. I bought mine at an antique fair.

Reply to
Lawrence

spot on advice. They require very frequent sharpening. They're much nicer to use than a strimmer & no reliability issues. And last a lifetime. But never fail to pay attention, they're deadly sharp.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you a glutton for punishment? Always use a power tool if possible.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And even if you are paying attention should you have dog that likes to come bounding up to or likes to play make sure it can't do so, it is very easy to fatally injure it or cut off a leg or paw. A scythe is a bit like a firearm, when in use the danger is in front of the operator .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

+1. Almost anyone can use a sickle. A scythe is really for large areas and flat ground, you can use a sickle effectively on banks, close to walls, trees, fences. But you need to keep them sharp.
Reply to
newshound

How about a scythette?

Not a skilled tool like a scythe but light and possibly less lethal. Good for thrashing down small areas of grass with room all round to swing; not good for getting into corners or around obstructions where a strimmer would be better.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Long handled shears would be easier to use, and avoid any bending

These look too cheap to be any good

?12

These are more like the price I'd expect to pay

?29.99

Not that price is necessarily any guide blah blah blah

michael adams

michael adams

me...

It feels like

enough for the

I paid £5 for my shears last year, can't fault them. I'd really want t o handle shears before buying.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

no less dangerous, but less well controlled. Sharpening needed just as much