Rechargeable hedge trimmers - can they compete with petrol ones?

A retired relative is thinking of buying a hedge trimmer for use a long way from the nearest power socket. The hedge is about 400 metres long and a mixture of all sorts of species, some of them with thick woody branches. On the other hand, the trimmer will probably only be used for about 30 minutes at a time before an extended tea break is taken (my relative has all year to trim it).

The petrol trimmers I've looked at seem a bit on the heavy side, and also noisy.

So, the trimmer needs to be durable and powerful, but won't be required to run all day.

Are rechargeable trimmers such as

to complete with lower powered pettrol models yet in this sort of role?

Is the cost of rechargeable batteries likely to be prohibitive?

Reply to
Mr UPVC

I can barely manage to do a similar length with a powerful petrol one. And that's only the sides. Electrics are suitable for light work on the suburban 15 ft hedge ONLY. You still need a serious lopper for the really heavy shit.

If he's fit enough to swing a petrol, then get one. If not, get a man in. Its probably the worst of the annual jobs I have to do. Thank god the farm manager whose land lies outside, does the far side and tops with his flail. Its totally beyond me, and I am only 59.

I fell off the step ladder and just missed smashing my skull last time I tried.

SWMBO having forgotten to steady it and was admiring her roses..most of which ended up in my leg.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Corded is out re length & cost. Corded on invertor & leisure battery is out re cost.

Cordless 14.4V - trim a bush ok, trim laurel a farce. Cordless 36V - might just match a normal hedge trimmer, =A3170-200.

Petrol without any doubt.

400m of hedge will blunt the blades on many cheap corded.
Reply to
js.b1

We just got a Bosch AHS 52 Accu Cordless, it comes with two batteries and is OK for lightish work. Batteries last until I'm tired so that's no prob. Trouble we're gonna have is that some hedge is 10ft tall and we want to reduce the height. That's prolly gonna mean a man or a chain saw.

You need someone fit who does that sort of work regularly, if it's not ordinary domestic. For what it is, the Bosch works fine.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Corded with a generator might be an alternative.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Being retired myself :-), I've got a hedge trimmer attachment in the Ryobi Expand-it range. Yes. it's noisy but there's a good carrying strap over my shoulder that is attached at the balance-point (engine at the back and cutter out in front) so all the weight is on my shoulders.

I can do a ~50m x 3m high hedge in one go from the ground, using a scythe-type action, much easier than using my old electric model, the weight of which was all on my (extended) arms and too short to reach the hedge top.

Look out for seasonal deals for good prices.

Reply to
John Weston

With a decent flex not completely out of the question. 6mm^2 CSA would be OK but you'd be looking at 8 x 50m lengths with each one being quite heavy and needing decent cable management (drums probaby) if they aren't to end up as a spiders web.

Corded on a small 2 stroke generator (approx =A375) would be fine though.

TBH I'm surprised that others have been saying that their cordless hedge trimmers are OK, is there really the same amount of umph in small battery to compare with a 400 to 700W mains motor...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is something that puzzles me also. I can't see my jobby putting out more than 20W. So what does a corded model need 400W for ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes it would, forgot about that.

I was surprised too. I guess it depends what you cut - laurel chokes the blades on 14.4V for example. Cordless have smaller blade gap which is something to consider.

A pole type hedge trimmer with weight on a shoulder strap should make a big difference - even the short corded ones are a pain in that you are holding them out away from your body without a natural counterbalance.

Reply to
js.b1

Mr UPVC wibbled on Monday 19 July 2010 18:38

NIMO. I have one of those since my Ryobi strimmer attachment blew up. It's great for my application - about 150 foot of light hawthorn that I trim regularly. The two NiCD batteries (on my one, some variants of that model are Li) manage all I care to do.

Whilst the blades are sharp, the motor is weedy so it will not go through the same woody thick stuff as a petrol. So it very much depends on the hedge.

I don;t want to think about that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Corded is out re length & cost. Corded on invertor & leisure battery is out re cost.

Cordless 14.4V - trim a bush ok, trim laurel a farce. Cordless 36V - might just match a normal hedge trimmer, £170-200.

Petrol without any doubt.

400m of hedge will blunt the blades on many cheap corded.

Bear in mind that decent rechargeable ones will have a heavy battery ... or poor battery life ...

Go for a petrol, I have a Ryobo expandit system, it is well balanced, and therefore feels light.

Reply to
Rick Hughes