Screw/wallplug size

The skim is plaster, though I can't see it makes any difference in terms of sinking the plug below the surface which was the original question. Sink it to avoid cracking the surface.

Reply to
Biggles

And me.

Reply to
newshound

I don't use anything else but UNO plugs, they are 100% reliable and work in pretty much anything. The screw enters the end of the plug & pulls in forwards when used in plasterboard.

Reply to
TMH

It's because the people who design stuff have never fixed anything to a wall in their lives & have no idea how to do so.

Rule number 1.

Unpack item, remove screws/plugs, throw in bin.

Reply to
TMH

They are!

Reply to
TMH

Just one item had screws and plugs of a decent size, so <0.5% at a guess. For a professional 'fixer' it must be lower than that. Had some, for internal use, where the screws were marginal for just brick.

Reply to
PeterC

Product designers simply don't care about the plug fixings. If bean counters can save 0.2p on plugs & screws they will.

Mostly I don't use the supplied fixings as being too small. But otherwise the quality of them doesn't matter a damn really, it's just a bit of plastic that gets squashed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Matchsticks used to be the go to solution. They were useful as tile spacers too. These days it's easier to find plugs than boxes of matches though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fragments of wood are findable almost anywhere. I only used plastic & tile offcuts for outdoor jobs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I still have some of the old fibre-type Rawlplug in useful lengths. Haven't used any for many years thogh.

Reply to
PeterC

Who else does that?

Reply to
Jim K..

Render? He said plaster...

Reply to
Jim K..

Render again.. He said plaster...

Reply to
Jim K..

Sand & cement ? Sounds like render again

Reply to
Jim K..

+1

Rule #2 Use plugs & screws of appropriate size, including being long enough to reach the supporting substrate behind "render", "plaster", "whatever". If necessary use more than one plug "in series".

Reply to
Jim K..