Scanning 35 mm slides on the cheap!

How much do Boots charge (to transfer 35mm slides to CD)? Anybody else provide the same service?

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

incorporating my

Reply to
Roy Hammond

Scanners with slide scanning attachments are not so expensive nowadays. I have an Epson Perfection 1650 which cost only just over £100 and scans slides pretty well (it'll also scan colour negatives). You can probably get something just as good for less than £100 now, it was a while ago that I bought it.

Reply to
usenet

Should do...

You can fix that in photoshop....

Most digitals will run in low light - and a projected image is not that dim. One problem you may find is getting a "hot spot" - i.e. the centre of the projected image may be better lit than the edges.

You may also get a result with one of the cine to video transfer boxes. These allow you to shine a projector in one side, and point a video camera into the other for the purposes of copying from old film to video. You should not get any geometric distortion with this approach.

You can get slide copier lenses for most SLRs not sure on the availability for "ordinary" digital cameras.

Reply to
John Rumm

For doing bulk you need a slide scanner with auto feed as you suggest. There is one caveat I would highlight though. The autofeeder I have (Nikon SF200 on a LS2000 scanner) works very well with modern slides. It is not as good with older slides in cardboard mounts, which can cause misfeeds and jams.

Fine for new photos, but does not solve the issue with the back catalogue.

Reply to
John Rumm

AHA! Got one of those somewhere - I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

incorporating my

I have a Dimage Scan Dual, Mod F-2400, which I purchased years ago I haven't used it much and it's doing nothing, if you want to make an offer around £40. I'm based in North Shropshire. Regards Tom

Reply to
Tom

Another solution to get slides into digital format is to re-photograph them, with a suitable back-lighter, with a digital camera. However, I do not know if such devices are available, although they were made for pentaxes and similar SLR film cameras. Providing the camera has close enough focus, it should be possible to make one. I recently had some 4 by 3 inch glass plate negatives done this way, with good results, although this with a Nikon digital camera. I also have an Epson 1670 scanner, which came with a 35mm slide and neg. attachment, good for the money - £80.

Reply to
StephenC

Another solution to get slides into digital format is to re-photograph them, with a suitable back-lighter, with a digital camera. However, I do not know if such devices are available, although they were made for pentaxes and similar SLR film cameras. Providing the camera has close enough focus, it should be possible to make one. I recently had some 4 by 3 inch glass plate negatives done this way, with good results, although this with a Nikon digital camera. I also have an Epson 1670 scanner, which came with a 35mm slide and neg. attachment, good for the money - £80.

Reply to
StephenC

Is that scsi based ? (having problems finding any info on it)

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson

Is that scsi based ? (having problems finding any info on it)

Yes I think so, havn't used it for years, must find the literature on it. Tom

Reply to
Tom

...I think it came out circa 1997, so if the scsi adaptor is included, it might (although probably not very likely) be an ISA card.

I`ll drop someone I know an email, he might be interested (I sort of am myself tbh, but i`m going to be incommunicado for a few weeks)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That's in Spain somewhere, isn't it?

(I'll get my coat)

Reply to
Paper2002AD

On 19 Sep 2004, StephenC wrote

I had slide-duping tubes like that years ago (Minolta), but never got very good results -- second-generation images were being produced from a lens which was inferior to the original, and there was a *lot* of image loss and distortion.

Logic tells me that whilst digital is probably better, one would probably be dogged with the same problem: that is, if the lens on the camera you're using isn't superior to the one which took the original slide, you're on a losing curve, and you'll probably get better digital information from a scanner than by using a camera to do the digitising.

I have similar kit -- a Canon 3200F with a slide-scannig lamp in the lid -- and it works pretty well. The results aren't professional level, but this field is a "pays money/takes choice" thing: the only way to get if truly *good* quality slide scans is to use a dedicated slide scanner (or pay a commercial firm to do it with professional kit).

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

...more like in the province of Ontario :-p

You do that :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

snip

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Google on slide copier.=20

There's a lot of different simple ways of achieving this. The main=20 problem, as someone else pointed out, is the sheer time and tedium of=20 doing the job

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Forget it, you'll never get it to give a decent spectrum and end up with a picture with good colour balance

Where are you?

I have a 35mm scanner, which I might let you use

Reply to
raden

In message , StephenC writes

That's the crunch part isn't it

Reply to
raden

In message , Colin Wilson writes

Yes

Reply to
raden

That's a kind offer - I'm in Telford.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Next time I'm up in that neck of the woods (Shrewsbury) I can bring it up

email me

Reply to
raden