Saucepans

What do they glue the bottoms onto saucepans with? I have an old pan that the bottom fell off. It looks like it had some sort of ceramic holding the extra thick base onto the thing.

Or is that just dirt? I can't believe it is baked detritus from some sort of crack in the seal. But I find it difficult to believe they used a ceramic on it either.

Anyone got one that they are thinking of retiring they can cut through for a looksee?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Eh !!!!! What sort of pans are these that have seperate bottoms ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Lots of pans have copper cores to the base, or are a copper base laminated onto stainless pans. Some used to be explosive welded, but I bet they ain't done that way very often.

Reply to
Guy King

The copper base in the Stainless steel "Prestige" ones we have are soldered together. I know this because someone forgot to put water in one recently and when I picked it up the molten solder splashed out and the copper base nearly fell off (Unfortunately I can't find a replacement).

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Well, only the once ... :o)

Reply to
Huge

. I've seen a couple (of pans that is) that got overheated and the thicker external bottom plate came right off suggesting that it was origianlly adhered with some sort of super-glue (maybe a ceramic one?) But no molten metal on these.

Reply to
terry

Got a link or whatever? .

I have a feeling it might be oxidised solder or something, that seems so like ash or sediment. If a small crack allows ingress from washing up water and the water turns to steam perhaps under pressure(? I can't see that's possible though.) It could conceivably turn the solder to ash a little at a time.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The message from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

No, bother it. I saw it on a telly programme decades ago.

Reply to
Guy King