Safety Warning - Impact Drivers

Nope, just summat drummed up in the mind,instead of swearing. Same as Badgering ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Like it! Nurged up - great!

I've always liked the phrase 'sexualy exhausted' myself, that and FUBERed :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That you post the right way up and trim to context.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Forgive my stupidity, but from the subject line and post content, I get the impression the screwdriver bit is being used with an "impact" setting.

From my years long gone by, an impact driver was a fat bodied mechanical device operated by a sharp blow with a lump hammer. The only things used in an "impact wrench" (CP Air tools) were 6 sided impact sockets.

I can't see why there would ever be a requirement to use an impact setting on a screw. All sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Can someone enlighten me.

......... on reflection.... I have a vague recollection of stuffing a cross-head screwdriver into a 12 sided socket used on said air wrench to fit new bed-boards to a lorry, though this was purely due to lack of cordless driver technology in those days.

TIA Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

Yes, this is an impact driver:

more recently, these have become known as impact drivers too:
's basically a battery powered, rechargeable version on an impact wrench.

The reason they're used for screwdriving is because they can deliver huge torque (albeit pulsed) compared to the same size/weight cordless drill/driver.

Reply to
Grunff

""Pet @

;¬)"" wrote

-- snip

-- snip

RzB

My query though is, if a regular screw (philips/pozi etc) needs more torque than can be applied by a regular combi/cordless driver there is surely something wrong.

Looking on t'internet I see a benefit for driving coach bolts etc but not regular screws.

Reply to
PeTe33

RzB wrote: Nothing

As informative and knowledgeable as ever I see RzB. Your input is most beneficial.

Reply to
PeTe33

Oh no, not again, it's only just been bitched about by the few.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I agree.

Why? Coach bolts will shear, too...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Must have missed that one. :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Would they?

The ones I have seen have a taperd shank, so as the bolt goes deeper, the rqd. torque increases but the shank is thicker and will handle increased loads.

Reply to
PeTe33

There are four benefits, such that since buying an 12v elu off ebay three years ago I would never (unless stuck up a ladder with a drill/driver) choose to drive a screw with either of my cordless drills (14.4v and 18v). First advantage is more power for really big screws or coachbolts, or just more speed with any else. The second is that the impulsed nature of the power means that there is no torque reaction, so it doesn't try to twist your wrist off no matter how hard it is working. The third is that you don't get cam-out, ever - although it does eat bits, especially rubbish ones, I've never had one explode like the OP. The fourth is that it is far far more controllable, so you can guage the speed and depth to which you are driving much more accurately.

I can't see how anyone who has ever actually used one could not recognise that they are utterly superior for driving screws - the difference is night and day.

Sorry if this posting is munged - using google while I find an alternative newsfeed thanks to my ISP terminating its provision.

Reply to
boltmail

Thanks for the info. That's prolly just it, I had never heard of them let alone used one.

Now where did I put my Stanley "Yankee"........ ah yes, through my left index finger of course!

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

They are also good for drilling into wood too. Impact Drivers are catching on big time. The cheapest quality one is the Ryobi ONE+ @ £69 and £59 for two 1 hr batteries (Panasonic cells) and charger. So, £130 and the batteries can be used woth other Ryobu ONE+ tools which all come without a battery. If Ryobi uprate their batteries to Lith Ion then all you need do is buy two new bateries. This model has good write ups too. The Makitas/DeWalts are around the £200 mark and over. The Ryobi is also 18V and has some ump.

When I have the real need for one I will get one. One is top of my list and they are getting cheaper. I predict in a few years time they will be around the £50 mark when the low cost makers coming in. They are also much smaller than drill/drivers an dable to drill between joists. But they make a racket. :-(

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A senile person was wanting to hit one with a hammer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you wait your turn you can join in as well....

Reply to
Andy Hall

None of the people that have actually used one would disagree with this.

But lots of people on here who have never even _Seen_ one would.

-
Reply to
Mark

Yep. The uk.d-i-y lunatic Association never failes to make an appearance.

A few months ago the Lunatic Association members had never heard of one, but with a reputation to maintain they made a big appearance, saying they are no good and will not work. A senile member was insisting that this electric power tool must be hit with a hammer to drive in the screws.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Surely as a claimed pro you would have the most up to date tools to save both time and money if they really are an improvment? And not wait for them to come to shed prices?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)