Safety of Converter Sockets

Today I noticed a four gang 'converter' socket (in Wilkinsons). Something like Screwfix product number 46085 - with an extra gang.

I couldn't help thinking that though it might be electrically satisfactory, it has definite mechanical problems. For example, the leverage achieved by pushing the end of the socket (up, down, towards the wall or away from it - or any combination) could be asking rather a lot from a little 3.5 BA screw. If they give way, the whole socket could come flying away or simply allow access to the 'behind the socket' space and wiring.

At least with a standard socket, even surface mounted, it is (or should be) properly screwed to a wall at both ends.

Anyone else have reservations about this type of socket?

Reply to
Rod

Nope, but i'm not stupid enough to go pushing down on the ends of the socket in the first place, and if i did and broke it, i wouldent go sticking my fingers in the back to see what happens.

if it bothers you, don't buy one, but dont kick up a fuss to get them banned for those of us who can use them properly :)

Reply to
gazz

I sincerely doubt anything I say here will have the least effect on anything - certainly not enough to cause them to be banned.

I wasn't really thinking of doing so out of stupidity - more as the result of either accidentally applying too much force or even in normal use.

Reply to
Rod

I had one and the 3.5 mm screws kept on coming loose, partly perhaps because the wall behind it wasn't flat and it didn't sit flush against the wall over all it's area.

IME the 3.5mm drilled and tapped holes in wall boxes are frequently oversize especially if they've been rusty and the screws removed and replaced a few times.

All in all it was a nasty bodge.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Some people can't insert a plug without thumping it. I agree some additional support should be given.

Reply to
John

you might not stupid enough but to a four year old ???

Reply to
Kevin

I would be reluctant to use anything like that. I'm not sure that it is wise to encourage the uninitiated public to remove even one screw of a fixed socket in order to secure the adapter with a longer one. (I'm guessing that's how it works). What happens when they remove the adapter and can't find the original screw? the socket remains in a dangerous condition indefinably I suppose. I don't like the traditional "block" adapters also.

A 4 or 6 way trailing strip is the best option, perhaps one with a short cable that can me fastened to the wall next to the parent socket.

Reply to
Graham.

Indefinitely. Damn spull chuckers.

Reply to
Graham.

That is pretty much what I had decided - either do the job properly or use a multiway trailing socket thingy of some sort.

I wanted to check it wasn't just me being a bit iffy about them.

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

I've fitted a few of the double ones and had no problems, but if doing triples or quads I think I'd put an extra pair of screws through into the wall near the ends (depening on the structure of the socket) or just a dab of glue at a minimum.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The screws were 4BA, then M3.5. I've never heard of 3.5BA...

Reply to
Martin Crossley

Back-box screws are 3.5mm, I suspect there might be a historical reason for this oddity.

Reply to
Graham.

It's difficult to tell from the picture on the Screwfix website, but I bought something like this from Wickes recently, and it had a hole at each corner of the backbox so that it could be fixed to the wall with wallplugs. I suspect a lot of bogders won't bother to use them. Once fixed with screws through these holes it was quite solid. The backbox did seem flimsier than normal backboxes, perhaps it was made from a thermoplastic rather than thermosetting material, so it definitely did need the extra fixings.

Reply to
Simon

Yes - got my fingers crossed. :-)

Reply to
Rod

The quad had two sockets overhanging to the left. Hence, around 150mm between the extreme end of the device and the first screw, 200mm to the second. Allows quite substantial leverage.

I did not see any possibility of adding screws at the ends without drilling through. But, as it was in a plastic bubble-type package, and I didn't open it up, I can't be sure there are no pre-drilled or at least pre-defined places for holes.

Reply to
Rod

That should, of course, have read "230mm to the second"! (I'll learn to type one day.)

Reply to
Rod

The message from Rod contains these words:

The Screwfix 4-gang ones can be fitted over either a single-gang or a two-gang box and there are appropriate mounting holes in the front to allow for eithe eventuality.

If fitted over a two-gang box then clearly there is only one socket "overhanging" the edge of the box.

If fitted over a single-gang box, then a fine screw can be put through the mounting hole which would have been used had there been a two-gang box behind. There are plastic plugs provided to cover the screwheads.

Reply to
Appin

I fitted one over a double box this morning, it is as firm as they come. If someone does manage to pull it off the wall then they would probably have broken the original double. I worry about how well fixed your back boxes are if you think they wont hold one of these.

Reply to
dennis

A four year old with half decent parents already knows that fiddling with power sockets is strictly verboten. If people can't be bothered to educate their off spring to the dangers of modern living from the moment they pop into the world they only have themselves to blame if little Johny gets hurt.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice