Safety mirror 6ft x 18in - how much?

Bah.

Just chipped the bottom of a mirror faced wardrobe door (with a big heavy carpet shampooer) with the approx above dimensions.

It's caused a 4in crack - but seems stable (I've thumped it and put my knee into it hard and it's not obviously going to fall off just yet). But it's a rented house + I have a baby so I need to fix it in a week or two.

Does anyone have any off the cuff rough guesses as to how much a piece of safety mirror that big will cost? Seems to be a tough (but not that tough!) thinnish (maybe 3/16 in) mirror bonded to a MDF/chipboard(?) door. I don't suppose having the glazier fit it will be that much more if I take the door to him.

In the meantime I'll put some sticky-back plastic over the crack and chip to make it safe.

Ta muchly

Timbo

PS

Glazier recommendations welcome - in the Tonbridge area, or Tunbridge Wells (or even Paddock Wood).

Reply to
Tim S

Hey - that's not too bad. I was imagining >£100

Ok feel better now - thanks :-)

Of course, it would now have been cheaper to pay someone to clean the carpets. You could start a whole thread on "I decided to save a fortune by DIM - but I had a few "difficulties" and now it cost 2x what a pro would have charged. He!

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

Think we've all done it some time, but with many successes and very occasional failures youre still well ahead. Especially compared to all the ballsups and mishaps that happen when you pay a pro.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

BTW what is a safety mirror? Does it give you a preprogrammed reflection in order to avoid a bad reaction on bad days?

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 30 Aug 2004 13:56:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

It's non-reflective - so that the sunlight doesn't bounce off of it and set fire to the curtains! ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

It has an auto dim mode so that when my incredibly well toned bod is in front of it, the missus doesn't go blind!

I wish...

I meant safety as in doesn't explode into a billion pieces when the sprog pokes it (and she will). But you knew that didn't you ;->

Reply to
Tim S

I'm mostly still winning - just annoying that that £60-odd + fitting + time would have got me a nice RAM upgrade for my server :-(

Still - I think I cleaned my carpets better than a pro (better than the Landlord's pro anyway).

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

Correction for the benfit of folks finding this on google... There is such a thing as safety glass mirrors - but they're not used for doors like this - too heavy apparantly.

I found a local glazier's workshop in Tonbridge and they said they could only use 4mm glass for a full-mirrored wardrobe door due to weight.

The actual dimensions of the glass when I measured it properly were

2000x350 mm which they quoted at £41 + £10 to bond to door (inc removing old glass).

Not bad.

Can't say I like the concept though - 4mm mirrored glass with kids around. But I have to match what's there in this case.

Cheers

Timbo

Reply to
Tim

: > Just chipped the bottom of a mirror faced wardrobe door (with a big : > heavy carpet shampooer) with the approx above dimensions. : >

: : Correction for the benfit of folks finding this on google... : There is such a thing as safety glass mirrors - but they're : not used for doors like this - too heavy apparantly. : : I found a local glazier's workshop in Tonbridge and they said they could : only use 4mm glass for a full-mirrored wardrobe door due to weight. : : The actual dimensions of the glass when I measured it properly were : 2000x350 mm which they quoted at £41 + £10 to bond to door (inc removing : old glass). : : Not bad. : : Can't say I like the concept though - 4mm mirrored glass with kids around. : But I have to match what's there in this case. : : Cheers : : Timbo ...............................................

That's a good price Tim, especially for 4mm, but don't worry too much about the thickness, it's the norm for that size mirror (a health & safety rule I think) and a lot harder to break. Hope all goes well. Regards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike James

"Mike James" wrote | : Can't say I like the concept though - 4mm mirrored glass with kids | : around. But I have to match what's there in this case. | That's a good price Tim, especially for 4mm, but don't worry too | much about the thickness, it's the norm for that size mirror (a health | & safety rule I think) and a lot harder to break.

If it's like my mirrored wardrobe door, the mirror is stuck on all over, rather than in a beaded frame. I would think that would help to hold the pieces together if someone runs into it (or at least prevent someone running

*through* it).

Owain

Reply to
Owain