Rusty Microwave

We've had our microwave a few years now and I've noticed that it's started to get a few rust spots under where the glass plate sits. (It's a Sanyo so not like it's a cheapie make) Is this usual?

I don't use it very often but does anyone know if it's still safe to use?

Have posted this from elsewhere - promised to ask if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance

Frank Healy

Reply to
Frank Healy

Didn't we just do this a few days back? :) You can paint it...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

I suggest you leave the door slightly open after use to allow moisture to escape after use. Microwaves end up with a piece of hot steaming food in a relatively cold oven (unlike a conventional oven), so the oven tends to get covered in condensation. Ovens usually blow the waste heat from the magnetron through the oven too which helps, but that stops when the microwave stops, and doesn't give time to dry out the oven.

If you were having it PAT tested, rust in the oven lining would normally be a test failure. If you want to carry on using it, I would use something like a drawing pin and check you can't push it through the metalwork, and recheck every couple of months. If/when the metal is perferated, you should dispose of the oven and make it inoperable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If it is just surface rust and can be cleaned off, then do that plus paint it. If it is flaking and thin, then the danger is of poor RF connections to the rest of the case. As such it will be liable to arcing and if bad enough, leaking microwaves to the surrounding area.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Frank Healy writes

It might be Sanyo, we had a Sanyo one and the paint came away underneath the glass plate - it was where the wheels rubbed i think.

Yes, I did try painting once but the problem arose again shortly.

So I gave up on that., we carried on using , eventually the amount of rust got to much for us and we bought a new one, with a stainless interior, which doesn't have to add anything to the cost nowadays.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I've notice that our Panasonic one leaves the fan running for a bit after use - I've wondered if that was maybe the reason. Though the stainless interior means rust isn't a problem.

IME the inside will be so mank well before then that you'll want to be rid of it anyway.

Reply to
chris French

Sharp are no better IME (we bought two at the same time, one for us, one for my sister) and both were rusted to f*ck within 2 years.

Ours has been replaced with a Panasonic - much better overall, and it even gave the wife a laugh when I went to set the clock - the display just kept scrolling "read the manual" every time I tried :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Since when has Sanyo not been a cheapie make?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle