Running flex from metal wiring box?

I've ordered a metalclad FCU box from Toolstation, in order to hard-wire in a wall-mounted heater for my workshop (for anybody who looked at that post, I went for a fan-heater in the end!).

This is the one I bought

(or

- this will connects via 20mm PVC conduit to the workshop wiring.

Just went to wire it up today and realised the deliberate mistake - the faceplate I've bought doesn't include a flex outlet. Bollocks (I got wrong-footed while ordering it, because Toolstation don't actually carry such an item in their metalclad range and I picked the wrong item when scrolling down the screen).

So I'm just wondering - is there a way I can run a flex out of the side or bottom of this box safely and legally? I do have some grommet like this:

...but that wouldn't address the strain relief issue, would it.

I know there are suitable FCUs with flex outlets available elsewhere, but would be a bit of a PITA to obtain, and in any case I'd much rather have the flex to the heater emerge from the side of the box, rather then the front...

Reply to
Lobster

or 10 for 2.50 in a proper electrical wholesalers.

20mm stuffing/compression gland is the name you need to look for.
Reply to
ARW

Fantastic! Thanks a lot Adam

Reply to
Lobster

+0000, Lobster wrote:

I cannot help you with the regulatory requirements but I do know that a metal faceplate with cable port is readily available -

I imagine that to go down the d-i-y route you should incorporate a cable clamp within the box in addition to the grommet.

Reply to
rbel

+0000, Lobster wrote:

you can buy glands with a cable clamp to go into 20mm holes.

charles

Is that for use with flex:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Make sure that you get the locknut with whatever you buy and do check into the sizes of the flex that the gland is suitable for.

shows the options available. I only gave the Wickes link as an example of what you need (but I am 99% sure it would be OK).

Reply to
ARW

On Sunday 10 February 2013 17:48 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And although you may not see those a lot in a domestic setting, that arrangement is *very* common in datacentres and other industrial settings.

Reply to
Tim Watts