Router Cutters Q

Are there any 'Slotting Cutters' for 2mm. kerf which are less than 30mm overall diameter? I have looked on various websites but the smallest dia. I can find is Trend 36mm. Reason I ask is that a Trend T3EK would be adequate for my uses but one website states that max. diameter of cutters which can be used is 30mm.-- unless that refers only to the fluted moulding type cutters and a slotting cutter which projects below the plate will not foul anything.

Help please as I don't really want to buy a bigger Router than I need.

-- Any help TIA Please reply to Newsgroup scrambled address

Reply to
mutley

I couldn't find anything in the instruction book for this router (on Trend's web site) that says that there is an absolute limit of 30mm.

Having said that, this is a small powered router, so driving large cutters is going to be more difficult and depth of passes will need to be small.

If you are specifically doing small work where a lighter machine makes sense (making models for example) then this may be OK because a smaller machine can make sense. If you are going for this for cost reasons and really want to do larger work, then it might be a false economy.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

mutley writes

You're right. My similar Trend is fine with groovers/slotters up to about

4 wide x 40 diam.

I use Whealden stuff btw - similar quality to Trend, less expensive and brill service.

Page 56 of cat for groovers and arbors. And bearings if you want to set the depth of cut precisely.

Needless to say, best to use a screw depth adjuster, or be *very* careful not to release the depth locking knob, when you have a cutter in that will not fit thro the hole in the base.

Reply to
roger