Router bit length?

I've just got my first router, and am having a bit of a head-scratch over the length of the (one and only) bit supplied.

If the shank of the bit is inserted into the collet more than a negligible amount - the instructions say min 20mm - then, even on full plunge, I'm only getting a few mm of actual protrusion of the bit from the bottom.

Is it just a ridiculously short bit, or am I missing something that should be glaringly obvious?

It's a Bosch POF1400ACE, if it makes the slightest difference.

Reply to
Adrian

What bit is it? How long is it?

You say you have tried "full" plunge, but have you made sure you don't have the plunge stop set so as to prevent it plunging fully?

From looking at a picture of it, there appears to be the normal rotating turret style stop with an adjustable length bar that acts as the plunge stop. With the turret set with the lowest lobe under the bar and the bar slid right up, you should be able to plunge so that the nut on the collet itself is poking out the bottom of the router.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep, and that's well out of the way.

Ah, I'm getting nowhere NEAR that...

I shall go and play some more.

Reply to
Adrian

Aha! Obvious when you have another look... The guide bush was in place, with the collar pointing upwards, and that was stopping it plunging all the way.

Thanks, John, for giving me the hint needed.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, it's just dawned on me that you are referring to the device for cutting channels in wood rather than the computer networking equipment :-) I've been using computers too long ;-)

Reply to
NY

my first thought was about a bit of computer network kit, too.

Reply to
charles

Yes, the two words really ought to be spelled differently to reflect the different pronunciation (at least in British English) - rowter (rhymes with cow) for the woodworking tool and rooter (as in the route between two points) for the computer device. Doesn't work in the US where I gather that both usages of the word are pronounced rowter (or rowt for the route between places) :-(

Reply to
NY

bits should go into the collect full depth less a couple of mm

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Australia follows the US pronunciation, too. I caused a great deal of hilarity explaining to one organisation's management how their email is "rooted"... (fornicated)

My apologies for the confuzzlification.

Reply to
Adrian

That's a router, not a router, and the bits are fixed length. (1!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Reply to
Adrian

ok did not think of that possibility, but yup that would do it ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm