Rotting Fence Posts

I have some fence posts that have been rotting on their tops. I know you can get plastic roofs you nail on. Which i don't like. ( Rain water still coming through the nail hole ? )

So far I'm thinking of soaking in a coat of oil, one that doesn't go rancid and disintegrate; for instance Walnut Oil used in cooking.

Is this a reasonable idea or grateful for any suggestions.

Reply to
john west

When I had wooden posts, I enclosed the tops of them with Flashband. Warmed slightly, it sticks to the wood very well and waterproofs the tops.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I've never bothered with the tops, I've never had a treated post rot at the top. They do *eventually* fail, usually at the point where they enter the ground (this is after more than ten years though, I still have lots of twenty year old posts supporting my fences).

Are these posts "rotting on their tops" treated at all?

Reply to
Chris Green

They do, however, pit there. Waterproofing the top stops that and, IMO, a Flashband cap looks better.

They do *eventually* fail, usually at the point where they

Flashband around the post there also helps, if you put it on from new.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Why not just paint them with several coats of a good quality wood preservative ? Or slope the tops and cap them with a cedar or other hardwood shingle cut slightly oversize, so that the rain runs off and doesn't soak in. Or both.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I think they all go eventually. Once rot has started its a bit late to fix it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have reason to be considering replacing a wooden fence post in the near future - rotting at the point where it enters the ground, as usual.

I came across this similar commercial solution:

That seems to be a similar approach. Has anyone any experience of the efficacy of these in the long run?

Depending on cost etc, I might try either the postsaver solution, or Colin's Flashband idea. I do have a reasonable hot air gun...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Don't seem too bad a price (just over £2 ea) for a 4x4"

Reply to
Andy Burns