rotating machines & flourescent lights

Trying to choose lighting over my new garage/workshop.

As is well known, flourescent lights (strip lights) on single phase supplies do not mix happily with rotating machines due to the possibility that flicker will make a rotating drive appear to be stationery.

The remedy used to be to have a GLS lamp on at the same time.

Now that GLS lamps have bitten the dust, what options are there?

Halogen?

LED lamps? These seem to be powered by in-built switched mode power supplies - Is there a potential to flicker?

Any other options?

TIA

Reply to
jim

Still widely available.

3,118 results for "GLS light bulb" on eBay.
Reply to
Huge

As a lot of metal working machines involve quantities of coolant sloshing about, the work lamp would normally be 50v or lower for safety and 50v GLS still seem to be readily available.

Very common, if not universal, as a work light on modern metal working lathes etc.

High frequency fluorescent lights.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've never considered it a great risk in a home workshop, as usually there's only the one person working there and only one machine tool at a time. Even if it looked stationary, the noise would tell the operator that it is running. It'd be an entirely different matter in a workshop with multiple machines running and a number of people.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

That did apply once, but now only to cheap fittings. Decent fittings will run at a much higher frequency than mains which increases efficiency. And removes the strobing problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday 20 October 2013 17:50 jim wrote in uk.d-i-y:

? Plenty still available.

Reply to
Tim Watts

phase

Most ordinary fittings still just have choke type ballast and run at

50 Hz. Agreed that you can get high frequency ballasts but I'd say they are more the exception than the rule.

No the lamp still flickers, it moves the apparently static tool to other rotational speeds which may or may not be a problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd be surprised if the phosphors in the tube react at all to frequencies around 30,000 Hz.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A long time ago when i was working, leans on old walking stick.. I recall special lights whos phospher was long persistance or something like that, for this very task of lighting in areas where lathes and such were sited.

Do these still exist? I never liked the light from them, it seemed cold to me at the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Failing a three phase supply with lights on separate phases, there used to be special twin fluorescent lights where one tube was phase shifted. This produced continuous light. Eg

Google stroboscopic fluorescent lights. Lots of info.

Reply to
harryagain

The discharge in the tube becomes continuous when operating at 5kHz because of the ion decay time (and this is also why there's an increase in efficiency as you get to 5kHz). All electronic control gear operates well above this, so no high frequency strobing is possible.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or putting them on the other two phases, if three pahes is available, but HF is the better option.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andrew Gabriel formulated on Monday :

More efficient due to no energy being wasted heating the ballast up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Electronic ballasts give off less heat, but the tube itself gets around 10% more efficient as the operating frequency goes up past

5kHz. In the EU, electronic ballasts are required to take this into account and underrun the tubes by this amount, and this means the total circuit watts (including ballasts losses) are below the tube rating for all but the smallest tubes.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One method was lead and lag pairs, using inductive and capacitive ballasts, since the light peak occurs at different times. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson