Roofing ladder - madness stupidity or both

So you'd have just a 2" long 'hook' overhanging the top of a curved ridge tile, which is also by definition already loose? Rather you than me.

Eeew... new use for the "builder's bum"?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Why not lash the rungs together with a buckle strap. Thats what I do and it works a treat. Hey presto a longer ladder.

Reply to
Googlebot

Well I did once actually; trouble is you then end up with a 'stepped' lower edge to the combined ladder which doesn't sit flat against the roof... so you then have to attach lengths of 3x2 underneath to compensate for the 'step' (as someone else has said)... it means it takes forever to get the whole caboodle assembled and TBH I think the more 'cobbled together' the assembly is, the more likely it is that something will go wrong...

David

Reply to
Lobster

How does that compare with the other quotes you have (of course) obtained?

Don't think. Get a written statement of exactly what he's offering for that. This isn't a job I'd be happy to do myself, but I'd certainly not want it done by a cowboy. One thing the thread may have shown you is all the things you didn't think about before you started. Precariously perched on top of the roof is not the place to discover inadequate planning.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on (or we may get worried...:)

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

As I said in another post recently, it's not a ridge tile hook. It passes over the ridge tiles without touching them, and rests on the roof the other side of the ridge.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's what a roof ladder should do, sure; but I'd question whether a hook just 2" long would do that, and reliably so.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Never mind faffing with roof ladders - get a quote for scaffolding around the back & side & work off a normal ladder lashed to the scaffold at the bottom....

Reply to
Phil

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

No WAY!, on god's good earth would you find me up on a roof with that sort of heath Robinson contraption.

And thats based on some years spent as an aerial rigger in a TV shop tho many years ago when I had less sense than now!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In my mind it begs the question of sense. When I was seriously considering doing this I had a chat with an experienced roofer, and looked at the issues with home made ladders, and I have to say I dont think it sensible to use one for roofwork on a 2 storey house.

I would disagree. Home made wood ladders have failure modes that are easily overlooked. Eg a bit of wood split at some point, the split travelled at an angle, resulting in wood with a fraction of its original strength. Or eg the treads are strong enough, but putting a screw thru them half way means the weight is supported on only half the wood size, and that isnt strong enough. And so on. Sure one can make them properly, but its too easy for someone that doesnt know the gotchas to come acropper. And on top of a 2 storey house isnt the place to find out your ladders splitting. Its just not worth it. If Benny the Big is after you and spending the money he wants on a pukka ladder is going to put your life in danger, then maybe it is.

NT

Reply to
meow2222