RIP Eugene Cernan

That's half of the twelve brave men gone.

He gave a brilliant speech when I watched him on stage.

Reply to
ARW

I'll give that a PLUS ONE.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason

Good on him.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sad.

And sad, too, is that anyone under the age of 45 hasn't experienced the sheer excitement (and anxiety!) of the Apollo programme and its Moon landings.

That's Aldrin in the video not Cernan

Reply to
Nige Danton

I know.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Erm, I'm 46 and cannot remember any of them:-)

I would have just turned two years old when Apollo 17 launched.

Now I do remember the launch of the first space shuttle. I was at junior school. The headmaster got everyone into the hall (a smallish village school) and we watched it live on TV. I was fascinated.

Reply to
ARW

Wrong person. And yes I have been to one of Aldrin's talks. He did not punch anyone at that one.

Reply to
ARW

What were you doing there?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Listening to him talk.

Reply to
ARW

You do not strike me as someone who would go to such a thing. Was it in America?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then you missed the excitement that surrounded what happened to Apollo

13.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Apollo 8 was pretty exciting, the first time a human had seen the sphere that is our planet with his own eyes.

Reply to
Graham.

Or been unable to see it, with open eyes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When my granddad was a kid a couple of bike manufacturers in Carolina managed to get this contraption made of string and wood to fly.

When I was a kid the headmaster got the whole school in front of the TV to watch some men walking on the moon. I had a poster on my bedroom wall of the world's first supersonic airliner - and before he died my grandfather got to fly on it. That's from barely flying to champagne faster than a speeding bullet in one lifetime.

I don't have any grandchildren yet, but I wonder if they'll believe what I saw when I was a child.

Perhaps one day people will look back, and say that the 1970s were the peak of civilisation, and it'll never be that good again.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

+1

I'm (only) 67 but I remember the opening of Calder Hall, and I had the good fortune to be involved in the final defuelling project. That's technology which went from first of a kind, cutting edge, to industrial archaeology within a working lifetime.

Reply to
newshound

Tell them that you had a house with no loft insulation, single glazing and only one coal fire to heat the place:-)

Or if you want to be really cruel tell them that you can remember a time when you did not have a mobile phone and that Facebook did not exist.

At least my Grandad could tell me about his D-Day landing.

Reply to
ARW