Revisions to Part B of the Building Regs

Anyone out there clued up as to how the revisions to Part B of th

Building Regs are going to effect people who convert their lof spaces?

I've heard from an Architect that they are talking about the need for sprinkler system for all 3 storey buildings INCLUDING when peopl convert their lofts. Have googled it and come back with all sorts o arguments to and for, but really want bullet points as to the way it i going. Can anyone enlighten me?

When are these revisions coming in to effect

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:11:53 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Cordless Crazy randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

AFAIK Part B is not being amended in the near future. It was out for consultation last year

, but there's no sign that a new Document has been published. However, given the recent history of the DCLG (formerly the ODPM) that's not to say they couldn't decide to change Part B on a whim.

It appears that they are proposing to allow a sprinkler system in lieu of the requirement for a separate stair from floors over 7.5m above ground (the fourth storey and above) in single dwellings, and the requirement for an alternative exit from the non-principal entrance storey of a maisonette. The existing options would not be removed, but sprinklers are an extra option. To be honest, any scheme that put forward sprinklers in the manner described in the proposed document would almost certainly have been accepted. I know, 'cos I have approved several like these over the last few years.

Three storey dwellings would be unchanged, except that the 'relaxation' of allowing an alternative escape windows instead of fire doors all the way down in loft conversions would be removed. I know that some authorities have accepted schemes with sprinklers in lieu of an enclosed stair for loft conversions.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula