Retro DIY?

In article , ARW writes

A classic indeed, my folks had one. Yellow (primrose) casing, original and best :-).

Possibly the inspiration for the light sabre, or the original star ship enterprise.

Could do better, must try harder . . . .

Reply to
fred

I could swap the fluorescent tube for an LED equivalent. But these new fangled LED strip lights do not flicker when you switch them on. So where is the fun in that?

Reply to
ARW

In article , ARW writes

I notice the one in the vid has had the starter swapped for an electronic, abs no fun in that!

I think theirs croaked in the end and we had to replace it with a boring one. Come to think of it, where's the ballast, in the top arm? The vid shows the cover being removed but only a few wires and a starter. Surely not a resistive ballast?

Reply to
fred

Aye and could be wasting energy depending of the OPs life style. If a predictable wage slave then a simple timer and stat will do well enough but if some one is home most of the time you don't need the place at "slobbed out in front of the telly" temperature all day as who ever is there ought to be active. Having to tweak the stat down/up is a PITA let the program do it.

That's no way to talk about yourselves. B-)

Our is fine to program, but you do need to think about the times and temperatures a bit before hand so you know what your are aiming for.

The overide on ours is a simple up or down button push, even better it automatically clears any overide at the next set point so it doesn't get left in "tropical" (or "arctic").

Each to their own but I'd not want a manual bimetal stat ever again. The over and under shoot is bad enough let alone having to keep tweaking it from "day" temp, to "evening" to "night" but I guess some people like little rituals.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , fred writes

Answering my own question, yes it was a resistive ballast in the top arm as the commentary in this vid confirms:

Interesting for the spiral moulded tube in itself.

Note the original and best primrose colour casing :-)

Reply to
fred

I have a CRT TV for picture and sound quality.

Stepped attenuators on the loudspeakers replace the up and down volume rubber buttons on the DAB radio.

I still find a typewriter easier for typing envelopes than anything on the computer.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

bber buttons on the DAB radio.

I've got lots of historic stuff. I dont relate the the mad rush to pay sill y money for a new hoover when the 1930s one does the job perfectly well - a nd has continued doing so for 80 odd years. While matey's £80 gimmicky on e has reached BER in just a few years. Maybe there are just a lot of sucker s out there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I use window envelopes most of the time and Dymo labels at other times. The label program will store addresses so is useful when you expect to write to the same person again.

Reply to
charles

In message , whisky-dave writes

We have a digital timer on the immersion, it has a boost button (1 hr or

2hr iirc) or you can just advance onto the next program
Reply to
Chris French

I have a frame set up for that in a DTP prog. You do need a different one for each size, though. Still easier than having a typewriter just for that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was just one of many tube shapes designed to improve the UV emission efficacy. There was one that had alternating indents along the tube and another, Powergroove iirc, where the cross section looked like a maltese cross. I never ever saw any of these rather fanciful American designs in real life, I have my 1979 edition of "Lamps and Lighting" to thank for this knowledge.

Unfortunately, the use of a resistor ballast reduces the overall efficiency somewhat (still better than a straight incandescent lamp though). The starter end looks like it might be spacious enough to accept an electronic ballast to improve the starting performance and efficiency by a factor of two or three times its original efficiency.

I've only recently replaced the old quickstart fluorescent fitting in the kitchen for a new even more slimline 4 footer with electronic ballast.

The main benefit being a reduction of consumption by about 16 watts on the original 52 watts used by the old fitting. The starting performance is about the same as the quickstart ballasted lamp so no novelty factor there (I've enjoyed flickerless quick start fluorescent lighting for the past 30 odd years courtesy of a technology that's now over half a century old).

Reply to
Johny B Good

I just write on the envelope :-)

Except maybe for xmas cards, never really send out enough letters to make printing/typing worth the effort. (If I was running some sort of business that would probably be different)

Reply to
Chris French

My really nice 4:3 CRT TV died after 20 years, replaced by a 16:9 CRT, not as nice. That got replaced with a plasma but HD rather tha SD, pictures are very good but the native sound leaves a little to be desired.

Self seal window envelopes and self adhesive NVI stamps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Last time I looked for a new typewriter, which was several years ago, I could only find fairly flimsy portable machines. Nobody was offering the type of substantial business orientated typewriter I was looking for. These days, I use computer printed address labels for envelopes.

Reply to
Nightjar

A blind friend is fed up due to her landlord replacing the CH with a modern one which now she cannot use, as its all menu driven and has buttons and no knob. Seems that the more we reinvent the wheel, the more we disadvantage minorities. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I once saw 8' T12 indented tubes. IIRC they produced a bit more light, but presumably the price was never worth paying.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It would mostly be business letters here so you've already typed the address for the letter. So a simple copy and paste into the envelope frame. Or just do the same from your address book prog. I tend to keep all the addresses I've used.

For cards which may well have odd sized envelopes by hand is usually easier - and nicer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but you can always use a "pretty " font for Christmas cards. I do.

Reply to
charles

Sort of, Neighbour wanted some help trimming some small tree branches, he was going to use a an electric reciprocating saw but by the time he faffed around rolling out the extension lead and finding a convenient socket I had sawn off the branches with a bow saw with a nice sharp blade. Similarly when I was working a much younger colleague was bemoaning the fact he could not get on with a task becuase his cordless drill had run flat. An old hand drill from the back of my van got over that. We sometimes forget that not every task always needs power especially if bits and blades are kept sharp, same in the kitchen where a handheld wire whisk can be just as quick as one of those electric ones for some tasks.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Problem is at the time I couldn't find one otherwise I'd have brought one. maybe there's one that I can control from a phone :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave