Replacing Rad Valves

Hi All

I want to change the valve on my radiators to TRV's. Is this a simple case of draining down the system fitting the new valve and refilling the system again or are there any other things I should look out for other than filling up slowly and checking for leaks.

cheers and best wishes

Reply to
Ryan

You need to make sure the type of TRV you buy is in fact a direct replacement mechanically for the LSV. Not all are. In some cases the pipe can be moved enough to compensate, but not always. I've even come across types that don't use a conventional olive in the compression fitting to the pipe.

If you have a header tank fed system you might well encounter airlocks on re-filling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I know it's a DIY NG, but my local plumber does it live, couple of towels wodged in around the pipe, and he's got the old one off and a new one on in literally a few seconds. Never seems to loose more than about a cupful of water. From my point of view, it ain't worth the hastle of DIY, especially since he does it for some beer money. :-)

Having said all of that, there are, or used to be, kits availsble that allowed you to bung up the pipes in the header tank and in theory change the valves with minimal water loss. I've got the bits and pieces somewhere in the garage, which is why I now get the plumber to do them for me as I decorate each room......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Drayton sell them, and I think Toolstation do too. If you're doing most of your rads (don't do them all! - see

then it's probably less hassle overall to drain down the system. If you've got microbore I suggest you drain down anyway and fit them like this

John Stumbles

> then it's probably less hassle overall to drain down the system. If you've

Thanks for the heads many thanks to all who replied

Reply to
Ryan