Replacing Polyplumb fittings.

I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes. The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of pipework and lots of new joints. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Phil

Reply to
Phil B

In message , Phil B writes

How quickly does it take for it to get wet? If you can dry it off (maybe with the help of a hair drier or a hot air gun), I would try doing a Plastic Padding and fibreglass matting 'bandage' job around T-piece.

Take the paste and bandage an inch or two along each pipe. I little heat will help it to go off quickly.

When it is hard (say, 30 minutes later), put a jubilee clip over the repair at each leg of the T. This will prevent any seepage. The repair should last for ever.

If there isn't any real pressure, you might get away with doing a similar bandage job with self-amalgamating tape (be fairly generous).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Exactly why I refuse to use the stuff.

Reply to
AlanD

I'd rather eat Marmite than have to deal with Polyplumb fittings ever again, such was my recent joy at having to use them.

They're not de-mountable and re-usable in the way that, say, Speedfit are - you have to replace the seals and grab rings every time - the re-usable bit consists of purely the outer plastic casing and the inner pipe support.

You can buy the seals and grab rings as a "component pack", but you might just as well get a whole new T-piece for the price of the things. Whilst you're at the plumbers merchants, grab three 15mm pipe inserts too, as it could turn out when you take things apart that they weren't used to start with.

There's no need to cut the pipes, just undo the collar on the fitting, pull the pipe out, snip off the old grab ring, put in a pipe support if there isn't one already and attach new fitting to the pipe.

Reply to
Peter B

thanks Pete, will try that. Phil

Reply to
Phil B

"Phil B" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

An update - a few days ago I tried pushing the pipes further into the fitting. It seems to have stopped the leak, but I'm leaving that bowl underneath it for the time being! Thanks all Phil

Reply to
Phil B