Replacing loose bricks.

The cause of a loose socket has been traced to loose bricks (or their remains). The socket pattress was held in by plaster around it edges.

As the fragments of brick were doing nothing more than sitting on the cavity wall foam I have removed them.

I know have a rather intimindating void to fill.

Do I (a) re-fill the whole with brick that must be shaped to fill the hole, (b) ditto but with easily shaped lightweight block rather than brick or (c) contrive suitable shuttering and fill the hole with concrete.

A and B are least appealing because of the difficulty of properly filling the crevices with mortar when pointing in the new brick(s) and the difficulty of cutting them to fit. C is most appealing because of its gap filling properties.

Reply to
RJS

Get a normal brick and cut half an inch off one face - this is easily done with a few blows with a hammer and bolster. place the brick on the ground (cut face upwards) and put the backbox on the cut face, mark a hole or two with a pencil and drill out, then screw the backbox onto the brick. Set in with normal mortar, alow to set and plaster around.

Done

Don't use concrete as it will slump, both forwards and backwards into the cavity

Reply to
Phil L

ains). =A0The socket pattress was held in by plaster around it edges.

ity wall foam I have removed them.

e, (b) ditto but with easily shaped lightweight block rather than brick or = (c) contrive suitable shuttering and fill the hole with concrete.

the crevices with mortar when pointing in the new brick(s) and the difficu= lty of cutting them to fit. =A0 C is most appealing because of its gap fill= ing properties.

Any of the above. Concrete is harder cos you'd need to do it in layers. Lightweight block is easy to trim and insulates

NT

Reply to
NT