Replacing Legrand RCD with another make?

Can I replace a Legrand RCD with one of another make, will they all fit in the box? Ebay has Wylex , Protek and MEM which seem similar

Mine got dust in it. DX RCD 100A 2P 100MA Type AC-S

[George]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Depends. The usual issue is the positioning of the tabs on the bussbar not always aligning.

I've seen compatibility questions like this answered on the screwfix forum or asking at the electrical wholesaler someone on one side of the counter or other will usually know.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

So that's the main switch - does it have to be 100A and remember it is a time delayed model. I'll have a look in the unit in the morning and see what we have. I am sure I have a 80A Wylex model. Anything I find you can have for the cost of postage (I make all regular poster the same offer). At least I will align up a few different main switches for you in the morning to find suitable switches from different manufacturers if we have nothing of use.

One other option would be to have a seperate RCD main switch in a seperate enclosure to your CU - Legrand 100mA time delayed main switches are not cheap.

email me your mobile phone no so that I can text you during the day with any info I get.

Reply to
ARW

I didnt know it's time delayed.

So should this be upstream of the 2 remote consumer units which I have, if I convert them from the old wire fuses to RCDs?

And use a normal non-time delayed RCD Consumer unit for new circuits?

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

That's what the -S on the end suggests...

Its designed for situations where you need to cascade RCDs - often seen in TT installs where all circuits need RCD protection for property and infrastructure protection, but you still need it to discriminate with downstream RCDs present for shock protection.

Yup that would be ok. You could also use a split load with a main switch should you need non shock protected circuits at that CU.

Do you have a TT install?

John Rumm

Yes.

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Then you will need to do some remedial work to make things safe. The socket circuits need 30mA RCD protection.

And how remote are these CUs?

Reply to
ARW

all the old circuits are on one 30ma RCD at the main fuse box, but if i had them more separated then less would trip off when ever something trips. Havent had a trip for quite a while though - except thunderstorms. But some wiring is very old and rubbery., I'm slowly replacing it as I find time. Distance to the 2 submains is about 16 yards. [george]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

When I get back from work today this time I will dig out a RCD for you. You will just need and REC2 encusure

Reply to
ARW