Replacing lean-too roof material

Some dozen years back my good wife had a mid life crisis and bought a Mk1 M azda Mx5. I was obliged to quit the garage for this wee monster so that it could comply with the insurance company's requirements. So additional sto rage space had to be found for my wood store and somewhere for my lathes.

There was a vague open lean-too structure already on one side so that was f ormalised with a proper floor, walls, etc. The small pitch corrugated pvc roofing was recycled and patched up. It is is this that now needs replacin g, not critical, but it would be better to do this summer.

But with what? There's no windows in this 'shed' so roof light is the norm . I thought of conservatory roofing but then realised that I would have to totally change the roof framing for that for jointing the panels.

Any suggestions ?

The 'shed' is 4 x 2m with nominally 4 x 2" roof timbers at 800mm centres, a nd a fairly low pitch angle.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Something like Onduline for most of it, and the occasional clear panel for some light?

Reply to
John Rumm

Aside from the lack of a transparent to light area, I would suggest galv coated steel cladding sheets. Long lasting, available in several colours and not expensive, but buy the thicker grade if you might need to stand upon it for some reason in the future.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can get long-lasting translucent fibre-glass panels that are the same profile as the galvanised sheets - so you can mix & match.

There's also a very nice box-section clear-ish fibreglass that I've used for a big car-port. You can walk on it - very strong...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Yes could one use artificial light or put some windows in. I have to say not impressed by corrugated Novalux as was on my old shed. goes brittle and milky whit then blows away at the first big wind!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mazda Mx5. I was obliged to quit the garage for this wee monster so that it could comply with the insurance company's requirements. So additional s torage space had to be found for my wood store and somewhere for my lathes.

formalised with a proper floor, walls, etc. The small pitch corrugated pv c roofing was recycled and patched up. It is is this that now needs replac ing, not critical, but it would be better to do this summer.

rm. I thought of conservatory roofing but then realised that I would have to totally change the roof framing for that for jointing the panels.

and a fairly low pitch angle.

This stuff is lightweight, easy to cut and rot proof.

r-1830-x-762mm/40844 Also in black.

Reply to
harry

I had corrugated PVC over a hay store but it didn't last long owing to winds. (The friend who fitted it insisted it needed less than half as many screw fittings as specified, even though I had bought enough. He was wrong).

I've replaced it with box section GRP fibreglass, plenty of choice on eBay.

Reply to
newshound

Mazda Mx5. I was obliged to quit the garage for this wee monster so that it could comply with the insurance company's requirements. So additional s torage space had to be found for my wood store and somewhere for my lathes.

formalised with a proper floor, walls, etc. The small pitch corrugated pv c roofing was recycled and patched up. It is is this that now needs replac ing, not critical, but it would be better to do this summer.

rm. I thought of conservatory roofing but then realised that I would have to totally change the roof framing for that for jointing the panels.

and a fairly low pitch angle.

Thanks guys. The GRP sheets look as if they are the way to go for me. I'l l look to see if I can get them locally around Edinburgh.

PVC is what most of the plastic corrugated panels are made of and does not survive UV for any adequate length of time - ie 10 years tops in my experie nce. Transparent Ondiuline is just PVC again so that bombs that out and th ere's no option now for windows as all the walls are storage.

Reply to
Rob Graham

[...]

It appears you've not considered polycarbonate.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have a polycarbonate roof over our veranda and side passage.

Robust and easy to get/cut to size, easy fit joints which screw to your roof timbers.

A completely different league to corrugated plastic which, as you say, doesn't last that long.

We have used

and they seem reasonable.

Cheers

Dave R