Replacing floorboards.

I need to replace a couple of flooarboards in my dining room - the problem is that I can't seem to locate replacement boards of the correct thickness.

The existing boards are 22mm thick - and the only sizes I can get from a timber merchant are 18mm or 28mm.

Has anyone ever had the same problem? Any suggestions (other than going to a saw-mill have having a few ,lengths custom machined?)

Thanks, Mark.

Reply to
mark

Nail pieces of hardboard down on the joist,build up if neccesary with Lino pieces? and use the 18mm floorboard.

Either that or go to a reclaimation yard for the original floorboards?

Reply to
George

Yeah I've had this problem a few times. I've ended up just packing the floorboards with cut up cereal boxes. Make the new boards a mm or 2 slightly higher as they will inevitably drop once they have traffic.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

================================== Several possibilities, apart from the obvious packing with hardboard or other material.

Buy the 28mm boards and cut rebates on the underside where they lie on the joists. Alternatively, if the boards are to go in a non-critical position (weight-wise) trim the depth of the joists by 6mm where the new boards are to sit.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Most timber merchants will plane them down while you wait if you take a sample of the required thickness.

Reply to
stuart noble

22mm is a standard size. B+Q and Wickes usually have some, although they're more expensive - they usually have them pre varnished if nothing else. Travis Perkins stock them at many branches, and can usually transfer between branches if you can wait. Occasionally you see them listed as 25mm, as they are made from a planed piece of 25mm timber.

If they're not going to be seen, the easy solution is to use 22mm chipboard flooring, which B+Q also stock.

auctions

From memory those in my house are the same: 22mm thick and 145mm wide. Had trouble finding timber to replace odd ones at first but then discovered that good timber merchants in my area - though not the DIY sheds - all stock

25x150 PAR which is exactly what I wanted. Try another timber merchant?
Reply to
rrh

Dear Mark

I endorse getting the boards from a decent timber merchant or getting them to plane them down to size which will only be a couple of minutes or if you must get the bigger ones and plane the Floorboards where they go over the joists

This was bog standard pracice up to about 1800 odd before boards became standardised

Do not pack joists, cut joists etc if it can be avoided

Chris

PS Tip - look carefully at the end grain and see which way the curve of the cross section of the tree is and put the board down with the curve pointing up wards each side and dipping in the middle - the cupping (movement making the board rise in the middle and v the sides) will then be right on the floor board when it shrinks leaving the high part in the middle and the edges down.

Reply to
mail