Replacement DC plug for laptop needed

Our laptop has melted its DC power lead plug due to overheating. It appears to have an external diameter of 5 mm and an internal one of about 2 mm. It's attached to a 19V 4A LITEON powersupply for a Medion Laptop. The closest in Maplin is a 5.5/2.1mm plug but it's part of a set (cheap enough mind you) but they don't give you any other info about them.

I'm wating to hear from Medion themselves but I'm not going to hold my breath too long. Any other recommendations where I might get a replacement plug that I can solder on?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Last time I needed one, they did the plugs individually at Maplin. Farnell might be worth checking as well.

Watch out for the external diameter being correct, but the internal being too big to make proper contact.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you've been to the Maplin site you've probably found out there are many varieties of a nominal external 5mm power connector. The only way might be to get one of each and find out which is the tightest fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

all websites that may be of use.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Depending on the age, you may be able to argue that it has failed within what would be considered a normal lifespan for the goods and get it repaired free. As a UK consumer IIRC, the vendor may be responsible for the durability of the goods for up to 6 years, but will usually try to hide behind the "out of warranty" mantra to avoid having to do anything. The initial cost may also have a bearing on the odds of getting a free repair too...

How old is it ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks. CPC have provided the necessary. Not quite sure of the relevance of "TheOnion" site though. ;-)

TIm

Reply to
Tim Downie

I assure, trying to get Medion to do anything within a reasonable space of time is next to impossible, let alone trying to get them repair a laptop out of warranty. I've already done the hard part which was to strip out the motherboard and resolder the socket connections. For the cost of a plug, it's far far easier (and less stressful) to do it myself.

2yr.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If you were going that far, it might have been worth replacing both plug and socket with a matching pair from Maplin etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I realise that *now* but a the time I wasn't entirely sure that that was where the problem lay. I wasn't entirely sure that I'd remember how to put the darn thing back together again if I left it in bits for too long. My brain can only memorise where a zillion screws and other components go for so long. ;-)

I'll know how to do it next time it burns out though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Digital cameras are really handy. Even at relatively low resolution.

Take a bit of polystyrene, take a picture of screw you'r going to remove, push it in polystyrene, take a picture of the screw. Repeat until disassembled. This gets you pictures of where every screw goes, to reassemble you simply go back through the pictures in reverse order.

Reply to
Ian Stirling