Repairing spring contact in kettle base

The right angle I meant was the bend in the springy bit with the contact, not the right angle next to the break. I think it's the one you say "cranks it to the slot".

I'm advocating straightening out the springy bit so that you don't have to add extra metal soldered to both broken parts to bridge the gap. The extra length got by straightening means you can overlap it to the other bit and just have one soldered joint.

You could add a bend near the contact to make it flat to its target again.

Reply to
Dave W

I totally agree - and I was joking about keeping up, btw.

If you look at the photos in the OP, the second one shows there are 4 connections to the kettle. You don't need that many for a standard kettle.

Reply to
GB

Pretty sure he mentioned temperature selection, if not the temperature figure. That model (we have one) allows setting to 70, 80, 90 or 100.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What the *** us wrong with simply adding a bit of cold after its boiled if you want 70°C?

This is complexity for its own sake.

I am reminded of the advert currently on telly that tells me how infinitely better my life would be if I could draw my blinds with a remote control

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find our temperature controlled kettle very useful. In our, fairly busy, household it saves around 2p a day - say £7 a year - in electricity costs.

It also saves around 5 (wo)man-minutes a day, which is (arguably now we are retired) far more valuable than the electricity saving.

As the kettle is around 10 years old now, the extra complexity has more than paid for itself. I was quite surprised, really, when I did the sums.

Reply to
GB

Jesus H.

And why pray would not heating less water and adding cold save the same? even assuming that the excess heat didn't actually go to heat the house?

Just drink one less bottle of wine a year.

I am speechless

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:57:23 +0100, GB quoted:

(I have TNP in my killfile, but I saw this)

I hate that advert. The father looks insufferably smug.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Possibly, it might, but you'd have to be really good at measuring the water - both the amount going into the kettle and the cold you add.

This would be time consuming, and few people would do it.

Really, as an approach, it only works on Usenet.

Reply to
GB

You mean there are still people who do it *by hand*?? ;-)

A bit tongue in cheek as we?ve just installed a pair of remote control blinds.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why would you specifically want those temperatures (i.e. 70, 80, 90)?

Reply to
Max Demian

No, just a couple of marks on the kettle, one for the initial fill of water, the second for where to top it up to with cold after it has turned off.

Bullshit.

More bullshit. Plenty do it that way right now.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Jock

Making tea for unwanted guests? ;-)

More seriously some different teas (and probably coffees too) benefit (supposedly) from different brewing temperatures.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

With my favourite coffee, I can taste the difference between 80C and 90C water.

When making instant, I use 70C.

Reply to
GB

My son wants a lower temperature than boiling for his coffee. It turns out that the preferred on is 70 degrees. As for adding cold, that's a faff and easy to get wrong. He tends to put the kettle on, set 70 degrees and 'keep warm', and go outside for a smoke.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that stupidity runs in the family.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

I hope you had a smug look on your face.

I actually have not seen that advert, that's possibly due to me having the ignore ads remote control ;)

Reply to
Richard

Fuck off rod

Reply to