Repairing sills

Our house is part of a council estate (but has been in private hands for many years) and the window sills are concrete. Some have a pronounced join where they meet in the middle, and others are pitted/chipped (under the paint work). What can I do to improve the appearance? I can use filler on the top where it is pitted, but that's not much use for edges. Suggestions?

Chris

Reply to
chriskross

Anything you use is likely to be a different colour and may look worse if the cills are bare concrete

You could mix some fine sharp sand (silver sand or kiln dried but NOT builders sand) with cement and add PVA, and then use this to patch the cill. Alternatively you can get epoxy repair kits for this type of work.

You can't use [decorating] filler externally on concrete and expect it to last 5 minutes

You will never get an offset joint to look smooth, unless you take a grinder to the whole surface and feather it in from each end of the cill.

dg

Suggestions?

Reply to
dg

Car boidy filler., You can ultinmately make the whole sill out of it if you want...edges and all!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, i meant to say that the sills had been painted over (several times, I would guess). They are white, so colour isn't a problem.

Certainly there is a pronounced step on one window, so I wasn't realistically expecting to get rid of that. I'm more concerned about the pitting and chipped edges. Pitting is obviously easier to treat. Thanks to your ideas and the Natural Philosopher. Something I hadn't considered.

Chris

Reply to
chriskross