Repairing pan lid knobs

Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying. The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms - I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs, attached via a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid has essentially worn down over the years, and now doesn't allow the bolt an adequate "foothold".

I'm wondering as to potential soltions. I confess I tend to take the "bodge first, fix later approach". Some aluminium foil wrapped around the screw thread - effectively widening it - has worked for a year or two, but is no longer passing muster. Could I use liquid wood to pack the hole, then re-thread? Or simply to glue the thread in place? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't poison the family (!), and can sustain the rigours of a dishwasher**.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs I'd be grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

I also have a plastic pan lid know exhibiting the same problem. Do the same suggestions apply?

Many thanks in advance for any response. SHMBO cannot live with the status quo any longer!

Regards to all Mike

**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only recently aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't believe the
Reply to
Michael Atkinson

If they have a lifetime guarantee, then why don't you want to replace them? You should get a new set of pans for free, under the agreement of the guarantee.

Repairing them yourself will void any guarantee the makers have given on them.

"foothold".

Reply to
BigWallop

You can buy simple wooden knobs from B&Q, intended for cupboard doors etc. Varnish or paint them to protect against dampness and attach them with a woodscrew.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Could you perhaps buy some machine screws and nuts made from stainless steel to replace them?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can buy replacement knobs for Le Creuset (cast iron) Saucepans which would probably do. They are extortionately expensive - like a fiver each - but do the job well and are oven-proof.

There are some cheaper 'Le Creuset clone' makes around ('Chasseur' rings a bell). They might do similar items more cheaply.

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

We had some 'Club' pans where the knobs (hard plastic rather than wood) split and came loose. I happened to be trimming back our apple tree so I just cut ~1 inch lengths from a 1 inch diameter branch and attached it with a 3/4inch woodscrew. Lasted prolly 10 years now.

Personally I like the way it looks, and if you have a lot of pans with problem lids, people will assume it's an expensive designer feature.

I don't think it would necessarily be long term dishwasher proof, but since you can just cut another branch when necessary it doesn't really matter.

Reply to
OG

Mix up some of this or similar, & put it in the thread in the knob. Screw up & leave for an hour of so.

The Medway Handyman

You could also find your local Arkwright store, more likely now a Granville store and ask them for some pan handles as I did last year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

As the MiL did for us a few years ago. We only needed one rather than four(c).

Reply to
Clot

Not 'fork handles'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

CAR BODY FILLER.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wooden items in the dishwasher tend to go grey/denatured on the surface fairly quickly. The inside of dishwasher is a pretty harsh enviroment during the wash cycle... Probably not the cause of the loose handles but how long the knobs will last is another matter, depends if your worried about them looking a bit grey and furry. B-) Personally I'd still hand wash the lids, they won't be particulary mucky compared to the pans.

As for fixing the knobs back on the plastic padding/car body filler is probably the best solution. Pack the hole well with the filler, make a hole to start the bolt (is it really a machine screw or is it coarser wood type thread?), fix the knob back on and leave to set for at least 24hrs before disturbing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I agree. The pans of my childhood were all held together by car body filler (My dad loved the stuff and the smell still brings back memories) and they easily survived a family of rowdy teenagers and a dishwasher

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Most normal epoxy based stuff won't cope with steam.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:

(as I suspect) you don't want to buy in 100's then call them and find a distributor.

Reply to
Vortex2

whistles on a simple site such as this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What browser's that? Seems to work OK on Safari and Firefox here (both out of date I might add).

Reply to
Vortex2

Think it's more to do with the plugins than browser. According to Firefox here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You lucky, lucky, person you. It's some time since I saw /quite/ such a visually disgusting website. Give me a tasteful Flash website any time. (Note: I *HATE* Flash.)

Dogs, licking, and bollocks come to mind.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Odd I probably use an even quirkier browser than you Dave but that site works for me apart from the flash banner across the top. The rest is a bit of javascript and php (so server side) with an IFRAME as the target of the content selected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice