Repairing leather jackts

Hello,

I tore part of my leather jacket. Is there an easy way to fix this? Someone said that a patch can be glued over. Is this a good way to fix the ripped part?

Reply to
dan

Ask in the bikers group?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would hardly be an invisible mend though, would it. Depends where its ripped I'd suppose. If it could be mended symmetrically it could be a feature or one could get the same patch on the other side to make it look intentional. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Is it worth repairing ? I would have thought decent quality leather would not rip.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you can get to it, put the patch on the inside surface - it will be less obvious. You could also try using iron-on adhesive tape such as

Chris Hogg

"Recreational" leatherware may be made of a soft leather, like denim jeans are usually made of a soft material unlike the canvas-like stuff made for people who actually work.

There used to something called Mend-a-Tear that you put under a torn fabric and ironed on. This might work with leather.

Reply to
Max Demian

ive evo-stuk patches on leather jeans - do it inside it works for a while

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It can if it is a fine, soft leather. I had a jacket of just such material that tore. It was well worth taking to a professional leather worker, who replaced the entire panel.

Reply to
nightjar

Isn't glued under a better fix?

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks to all.

It is a soft leather jacket and I will look at the bikers ng.

Reply to
dan

I bought it from an Indian shop many years ago in E London. Never got to wear it until recently. After a few days it ripped. Not that good quality as I thought sadly.

Reply to
dan

Google repairing car leather seats. In essense, yes. Then fill the crack and colour over the filler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have a holiday in Chile or Argentina. Leather jackets can be bought for silly amounts down there.

Reply to
Andrew

Will do. Cheers.

Reply to
dan

It costs a bit to get to those countries, though!

When I was in that part of the world almost 30 years ago I bought a very nice leather jacket in Buenos Aires, for half the price it would have cost in the UK. But I hardly wore it - guess I'd sort of lost interest in leather jackets, and finally gave it to a charity shop a couple of years ago after it had been languishing in a wardrobe for years.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The problem with splits on car seats is it is usually due to old age. Repair one, and another can appear. If your tear just happened, it might be down to poor quality leather.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)