Repairing a tile

We have a tile at the entrance door to the common stairwell that has been damaged by repeated contact with the hook used to hold the door open. It is a semi-circular abrasion of the glaze. The tile survived for 100 years until new neighbours moved in but that's another story.

I'm wondering the best way to carry out a repair for maximum durability. Ordinary filler or enamel paint would just wear away.

Reply to
Scott

Put another felt pad over it.

Reply to
Jimk

Yes you don't want it to be even more damaged. Some of those large rubber square stick on feet can be good. You get more than one in a packet so when the cleaner knocks it off, just clean the surface and stick another on On repair, personally, I've found that its almost impossible without making damage worse so it can be filled. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The damage is a semi-circle of about three inches, where the hook has been allowed to drop.

I wondered about a bead of two part epoxy resin adhesive?

Reply to
Scott

Could you cut out a circle with a diamond core drill and insert a brass disk with a rubber pad behind. Not original but possibly in keeping with the style not an original idea I saw something similar done in a place we rented on holiday once.

Reply to
Radio Man

That with a small amount of the right pigment in is about as good as you are ever likely to get. But unless you do it well it could look much worse than the original damage. There are some ceramic repair pens available in the sheds but I doubt if the polymer will last against abrasion by a metal hook. Intended fro chips in sinks etc.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That could be a fair comment in some circumstances, but I point out that I did carry out the last three repairs to the close as the jobs were too small and tricky to refer to the Factors.

Reply to
Scott

No - the problem is that the the hook descends in a semi-circle to so the damage extends to several inches.

Reply to
Scott

Of course he can't, he's just collecting ideas & info to appear knowledgeable at the tenants' Vs management co. meeting ..

Reply to
Jimk

Get rid of the hook and use a magnetic type?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Stick some rubber tubing over the part of the hook that constantly drops down and contacts the tile

Reply to
Andrew

Epoxy with TiO2 is the usual thing for white tiles. You can get terracotta epoxy too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr