Repair a blown candle bulb!

Well, I just had to share this with you because it was so unusual.

Switched on light, one of the 3 candle bulbs in the fitting blows. Was able to physically see the filament has broken and is dangling.

Gave the fitting a shake, the dangling bit of filament swung back and makes contact with the live conductor and with a bright flash it seemed to "spot weld" itself back into place.

The bulb lasted another 3 months of normal use before blowing again beyond "repair" :)

Reply to
R W

It's not that unusual for this to happen in my experience, though 3 months use after the 'self repair' is pretty good!

Reply to
usenet

We get that here with small halogens for microscope lighting. Often if the bulb blows while it is hot it welds itself back together again as it cools. I usually discover this when someone complains the bulb is dim as they are never as bright as before.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby