Removing rust from bath

Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of paint brushes in my bath whilst decorating it.

They rusted and now there is rust sticking to the bottom of the bath.

What's the best way to get rid of it.

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Now that's what I call over doing things, DECORATING THE BATH!!

:-)

John

Reply to
John

How long was they in the bath? this will give us an indication how long you have not had one. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Is Mr Pooter's accounting of doing same the first ever recorded bit of DIY?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from "John" contains these words:

Just read Diary of a Nobody first.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry - typed too fast. Was decorating the bathroom - used bath to leave the paint brushes!!! ;0)

Any ideas of how to get rid of the rust?

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Too long! ;0)

About 2 months. Took showers whilst the paint brushes etc in the back half of the bath.

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Unless you fancy writing some impromptu Samuel Pepys DIY slash fiction, I think so.

"To Miss Beeney's house, a most comely domicile with impressive upholstery..."

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from Andy Dingley contains these words:

Up, and to B&Q where I did endeavour to obtain the neccessaries for the decoration of the scullery maid's bedroom. The manager told me many strange things of the virtues of this marvellous paint which he did call "Du Lux". Sayeth it painteth fine all manner of things, and particularly large shaggy dogs. I confess to being somewhat perplexed by this last remark, but left him with tuppence farthing for a quart of Whyte with an hinte of Apple.

Elizabeth did at once send me again to B&Q for she likes not the Whyte with an Hinte of Apple, but prefers instead the Whyte with an Hinte of Grass. I know not what the difference is, but it doth no harm to humour her, particularly since it is for the maid's bedroom and I am exceeding keen to get stuck in.

Back to house to collect receipt, without which Mssrs B&Q will not exchange the paint.

Upon second return find that Elizabeth has thrown out all mine painting brushes. She did claim they were exceeding mucky and not fit unto painting a pigsty. If I do not get this job started soon I will not be there to see the maid get changed, for serving dinner which omission vexes me sorely.

Back to B&Q to obtain new brushes. Much talk of bristles, which puts me fully in mind of maid's bow frontage, and finally part with halfpenny for two brushes and some turpentine. Later discover that the paint is not washable in turpentine but is some sort of watery distemper.

At last commence to paint. Starting at ceiling I then have to move the bed and the wardrobe. Accidentally stand in maid's chamberpot. Shall have words with maid on the virtue of regular emptying of night-soil.

Under bed find signs of maid having had visit from man. Maid claims this was left by her brother, but I think not that such a lowly man carries upon his person a kerchief of such silk. Maid is more agile than I thought.

And so to paint the ceiling over the door. To this end I balance the vessel upon the open edge of the door.

It appears that despite its distemperous nature, paint of this sort is not easily removed from a garment. Elizabeth hath taken my purse to the habadashers to purchase a new dress. Leaving me with the maid with whom I did have no little discourse and sport.

Hindsight may show me that cleansing my hands of paint before impressing them upon the maid's dark bodice might have left Elizabeth in more doubt of why the ceiling not yet finished than eventuated.

And so to bed.

In the spare room.

Reply to
Guy King

What is the bath made of? What surface etc?

(for heavy enamel on cast iron you can use a fine wet'n'dry silcon carbide paper to polish out rust and hard water marks)

Reply to
John Rumm

Rust stains usually respond to an acid. You could try leaving lemon juice (citric acid), or vinegar (acetic acid), to soak into the stain. You may need to repeat the acid treatment and you may need to use a nylon non-scratch pan scourer or bath cleaning sponge to remove any stubborn stain. Another method is to rub the stain with a table salt/acid paste. Other than that, rust stain remover is available from hardware shops.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

"Phil Anthropist" typed

or dilute phosphoric acid (Coca Cola)...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

for an enamel bath, a stiff scrubbing brush with neat limescale removing type loo cleaner and a pair of rubber gloves, rinse well afterwards ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

brilliant, one for the humour collection I think.

Reply to
DJC

Thanx for that John. I think its made out of enamel. Will give it a go.

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Thanx Phil. Appreciate the advice! ;0)

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Thanx - Coca Cola is something I understand and have plenty of! ;0)

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Thanx Andy. I'll give it a go. I tried mould and mildew remover and stain remover and Cillit Bang! ;0)

But I'll look for some limescale remover also.

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO