Removing plasterboard adhesive from block wall

Anybody got any experience of this. I have seen a previous post recommending a wire brush but i have rather a lot to remove. I am getting a fair bit off with a chisel SDS drill bit but it is not going to get me close enough to give me a smooth surface to batten out. Is there any solvent that would disolve it? Would a wallpaper stripper work or is wetting the breeze blocks not a good idea? Many thanks.

I needed to install some kitchen cupboards in an extension which had plasterboard stuck to a thermalite block wall. Because of the weight of the cupboards I felt I had to batten the wall, so I had to cut a number of slots approx 3ins wide by 3ft long in the plasterboard to get the battens fixed flush to the thermalite and to the plasterboard.. Of course in places the lump of adhesive showed in the slots and it was an absolute pig to remove. After many hours I came to the conclusion that the easiest solution was to sacrifice some cheap wood chisels and virtually carve the stuff away using a mallet. Hope this helps Don

Just use a lump hammer, a bolster, tea breaks every half hour and lots of enthusiasm. Franko.
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:44:14 -0800 (PST), bob

This is an excuse to buy an SDS drill with rotation stop.
Thanks all for your replies.