removing old tile adhesive from metal shower door surround-- how to?

any tips for getting some dregs of tile adhesive off a nice shiny (lacquered I think) metal shower door frame?
Background:- tiles used to butt up against the frame so its been tiled upto and probly grouted and siliconed. I can sort the silicone but what methods/tips for attacking the old adhesive/grout without knacking the metal frame?
Vinegar? er... elp!
TIA Jim K
Jim K wrote:

    A steam cleaner may work. Most tile cements soften under water IME.
Mmm I reckon this is cementitious...
Cheers Jim K
Jim K wrote:

If that is the case then a bit of brick acid should do the job. Apply with a toothbrush and rinse before cleaning your teeth!
On 16/12/2013 21:34, Bob Minchin wrote:

As long as the lacquer is intact, otherwise you are going to etch your frame. Have plenty of water on hand to rinse it if the frame starts fizzing.
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 22:20:49 +0000, newshound wrote:

Or go for something less agressive like a bathroom lime scale remover, in gell form? Viakal Liquid works, it won't be as quick as hydrochloic acid (brick acid) but less chance of it damaging the metal work. It's mostly (5 - 10%) phosphoric acid with a bit of formic acid (1 - 5 %).
--
Cheers
Dave.