Removing a HW cylinder

... is on the cards tomorrow (it's being replaced with a combi system), and never having done taken a cylinder out before, I would be grateful for some pointers.

The space on three out of four sides of the cylinder is very limited (it's in an alcove) but as far as I can ascertain, three of the five

22mm pipes which come down from the ceiling and go behind the cylinder are capped off behind there (ie, redundant pipes from a previous installation) and of the other two, one enters the cylinder at the base, the other leaves at the top. I'll have another root around tomorrow in the daylight, but does that sound a plausible scenario? There's no boiler or CH, and HW is via an electric immersion heater only. There's a CW storage tank in the roofspace. No valves or taps around the cylinder (haven't checked up by the CW tank yet).

If I turn off at the mains, and run H & C taps until they run dry, should I then be able to safely undo the fitting at the top of the tank? If so, presumably the tank will then be full of water - do I siphon that out? And then I can disconnect the bottom pipe connection to the cylinder and cap that off?

Please let me know if there's a glaring error here or I'm going to get very wet and/or do myself an injury tomorrow...!

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

there should be a drain c*ck connected to the cold inlet to the tank down at the bottom,if not proceeding as you have stated should be ok,think I would just check that the cold tank in loft has enptied before opening any connections.Syphoning will take some time to empty I use a sanll inline pump that connects to a drill works well.

Reply to
Alex

Thanks for the reassurance - job done, with no floods or personal injuries!

David

Reply to
Lobster