Remove plaster from unpainted woodwork

Remove plaster from unpainted woodwork - ages ago spare room renovated. New woodwork and plaster. Some wet plaster splashed onto the woodwork, and has dried on. I have now, at last, decided to varnish the wood rather than paint it.

So, what's the best way to get the plaster off the wood? Sanding is difficult, as there are lots of nooks and crannies. I was rather hoping that I could just wash the plaster off with something. Any ideas?

Reply to
GB

Phil L

I can get the big bits of plaster off, but it's ingrained in the wood and discolouring it. It's the discolouration I wanted to get rid of, if possible without sanding a load of the wood off too.

Reply to
GB

Any acid will dissolve it, e.g. kettle descaler (but not one with a die in it as you will be varnishing the wood). Neutralise the acid with bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water afterwards, and then wash that off with water. This will probably raise the grain of the wood, and need some time to dry afterwards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fantastic! I'll give it a go with citric acid or vinegar, unless I can find something a bit stronger somewhere. I'll report back in case anybody searches for this in future.

Reply to
GB

vinegar is way quicker ime

NT