Remove Broken Stereo Plug

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

Any ideas

Parts

Reply to
christopher

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Reply to
Andy Burns

Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out from the inside.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I've not seen an open frame type used on a PC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of the motherboards have the sockets completely enclosed in lumps of plastic, my father managed to break a plug off in his PC.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Tried that, used the rump of the old plug, no joy

Parts

Reply to
christopher

I presume the situation is a bit like this?

(fixed space text cross-section)

ouside | inside | +-----------------+ x1x x2x |=x3x=| || back |=====| +-----------------+ | ouside | inside

It will be unfortunately held in there by the unrestrained contacts x1x and x2x, so trying to glue it to the 'the rump of the plug' or to a similar thickish object is best to avoid x1x and x2x knocking it off.

Failing that, you might be able to use a heated needle poking though the plastic from the back.

Reply to
Adrian C

Pushing from the inside would be my best guess. If you can't just retrieve it with a dab of superglue how about dipping a needle or 1mm drill in glue and pushing that down inside the barrel of the plug?

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I would take a short length of stiff wire, attach a small solder blob to one end and allow it to cool. Then insert the wire into the socket ensuring the solder meets the tip, hold with pliers and heat with the iron while applying inward pressure. The idea being that the solder melts inside the socket and attaches the wire to the broken tip. Allow to cool and (hopefully) remove the wire and attached tip. Use a low wattage soldering iron and be swift, as otherwise you risk melting the socket internally.

Joe

Reply to
jbp