Remedying Over-Application of Floor Varnish

I've just sanded and varnished our kitchen floor have applied the satin-finish polyurethane varnish so thickly that it resembles patchy gloss! Would sanding lightly and applying a thin coat of the satin help to lessen the gloss? Any advice much appreciated, many thanks.

Reply to
kevsarge

Sand it all off and use a matt varnish instead

Reply to
Andy Hall

When I sanded our floors they needed 4 or 5 coats (sanding in between). I reckon you should wait until it is fully hardened and then apply a few more thin coats.

Reply to
avocado

Thanks for that. Am not about to sand it all off, thanks, but this second solution sounds plausible. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for getting back.

Reply to
kevsarge

You'll end up accepting it looking patchy and plasticy, or sanding it off in the end anyway.

Trying to apply more varnish over the top of an initial over-application will not produce a smooth satin finish, so you are really wasting your time and money.

But by all means go ahead. It will be a worthwhile lesson learned.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Here's a thing - it was actuallt a couple of tradesman who did it, so not strictly DIY (bump him off the group! I hear you cry). Guys were clearly in a hurry ... Just goes to show, ain;t just the amateurs who can make a hash of it!

Reply to
kevsarge

No indeed.

All the more reason to make them strip the lot off and do the job properly rather than bodging it; or have you turned professional in the last few hours?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite. Really just wanted to know what was the best course of action, Andy - time also of essence as house going on market!

Reply to
kevsarge

Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Bodge it.

If that doesn't work, cover it in plastic floor covering or even the dreaded laminate.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you thought of a nice rug?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hee hee! Yes, if I were less honourable I would do just that, but the house, and its potential buyers, deserve better in this instance. I'll call these guys on Monday, they were good guys, just inexperienced I fear.

Reply to
kevsarge

Exactly - an amateur doing a job for his own use will likely make a better job than a "professional" because he can spend more time instead of working within a budget set by his quotation.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've seen varnish being applied with a broom.... I don't share Andy's pessimism about getting a good end result. Polyurethane usually sands easily without gumming up the abrasive, and just cutting it back to a matt finish should be enough. A thin coat wiped on with a rag might be best for the final finish.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This sometimes occurs when when windows and door are left open and the wet floor is exposed to draughts. One of the dangers of using Polyurethane and similar coatings are the fumes that the applicator is exposed to, because of the need to keep the rooms draught free.

Get it sanded down and do another normal coat of the same material. Don't add another complication by changing materials. A good quality Polyurethane floor product gives an excellent hard wearing finish. Bill

Bill

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:12:03 +0100, Frank Erskine mused:

Whilst I agree with you it's not as common or likely as you make it sound. I would say there are more professionals doing a good job than there are DIYers doing a good job. Similarly I'd also say there are more DIYers doing a bad job than there are professionals doing a bad job.

There's a limit to how much skill one person has, and no amount of time is going to make them as good as a professional if they're not into it.

All IMO obviously.

Reply to
Lurch

The problem's a shiny kitchen floor not a shiny bonce !

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Quite right - as long as it's smooth, clean and bright, they'll be quite happy. New owners are likely to laminate or carpet over it anyway, so why waste time & money?

Reply to
Steve Walker