regularise loft conversion

I have recently moved into this house where the attic bedroom has been completed long ago without any paperwork whatsoever to indicate building regs. The council has told me (before I bought) to have no records and no interest in this sort of problem whatsoever. How much of a problem is that? I mean surely I will put some insulation up - it's frightening how cold a house gets with no loft insulation. And eventually I will do some reroofing (in maybe three or four years - need to raise the money first). So I think in order to live in the house, I do not need building regs or major work if you like, but in the longer term, with ultimate selling in mind, I would want to do whatever work I do to standards, so that I can get closer to building regs eventually and when I do decide to call out the BCO he won't have that much to complain. In short: where can I find precise indications of the regs regarding loft conversions, and do they apply in my case - house built 19th c. conversion done before 1990.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

You can find the full regs here

will primarily need to exmanine docs A, B and L.

A google for loft conversion regulations will throw up come local council documents which summarise the main points.

The main issue, as I understand it, is that once you start doing the work and get BCO involved then you have to meet all the necessary regulations, you can't just upgrade the insulation and then tell them, as they will then want to see plans and documents for the full conversion.

While it may be relatively easy and desirable to upgrade insulation, the real issue with loft conversions become the structural supports, and ensuring they meet the regs. Then assuming the house is two storeys you generally have to make all doors on the ground and 1st floors fire doors.

In any event if you plan on getting full BCO approval it will be worthwhile getting a structural engineer in to have a look and check out the if the current flooring and supports are adequate.

cheers

David

Reply to
David M

Fred,

Insulation is one of the things that comes under the building regulations unless the work was done before this sort of thing was made mandatory. If you want to bring the house up to modern standards your local councils building inspectors or architects office may be helpful and have pamphlets available. Be aware if you insulate your loft you must make provision to prevent interstitual condensation in the insulation this is where advise from the departments mentioned is helpful. It is for your protection and will add value yo your property and save rotting wood due to an unvenilated roof space. MikeS

Reply to
MikeS

If everything is safe and effective its not a problem. The issue is that you have nothing to tell you whether its safe and effective or not. A look at the floor structure and insulation arrangement will put the main questions to rest. Roof insulation can sometimes be done without ventilation, which is liable to result in trapped moisture and roof structure rot.

Almost nothing in an 1800s house will meet buiding regs either.

Of course when you sell there will be issues. Buyers surveyors dont mind that the entire house meets very few regs but they will object if any modern work doesnt. The buyers surveyor wont mind if your foundations are 6" deep, your 4" walls weak and unstable, the floor bends as you walk on it, you have skimmed asbestos ceilings, decaying

1930s lead wiring behind the modern sockets, and theres not an ounce of insulation in the place. But if your loft has larger stronger but non compliant joists, woe unto you.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton