regs re: exterior doors

Remember the hinges will be exposed, so you might consider getting security hinges to prevent a thief from being able to get at the hinge pins.

Also, stable doors have an overlapping construction at the mid-joint, so that the wind can't whistle through the joint when the door is closed etc; so what you say, well, this means the top of the stable door can only open in one direction ( inwards ). If the door were completely symmetrical then that wouldn't matter but it is customary to put the beading for the glazing on the inside to protect it from the weather. My stable door ( from Do-It-All ) has glazing beading on the inside, and this beading sits on flat sections of wood, which would collect water if they were on the outside. So, if you go for a glazed stable door of the same design that I have, though it will work OKwith the normally-inward side facing outwards, it's definitely not the way the designers were thinking of when it comes to weather-worthiness.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I plan to fit a new door to the cellar (will be a playroom) that opens out onto the rear garden. is there anything in the building regs that prohibits installing the door so it opens out rather than in ?

also, this will be a stable style door so I can leave the top open for ventilation and to let in more light. does anyone know of a supplier of that style door ?

cheers LJ

Reply to
in2minds

"in2minds" wrote | I plan to fit a new door to the cellar (will be a playroom) | that opens out onto the rear garden. is there anything in | the building regs that prohibits installing the door so it | opens out rather than in ?

Not as such, but there are restrictions on positioning (any) door so it doesn't whack somebody in the face.

| also, this will be a stable style door so I can leave the top | open for ventilation and to let in more light. does anyone | know of a supplier of that style door ?

Wickes do them, so probably just about everyone else.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I already have a steel security gate on the outside, because we keep the bikes in there, so that's not a problem.

as for glazing, I'll probably go for a solid door...

LJ

Reply to
in2minds