Record Gas Leaks?

OK - so we are apparently at record gas usage levels. But how much of it is disappearing in gas leaks?

Everywhere I go, whether walking or driving, I seem to get whiffs of gas

- but never enough, and never where I can identify where it is coming from, for me to actually report it. Or could it simply be badly adjusted burners, or puffs of unburnt gas from boilers before they have ignited? Or even exhausts from vehicles just smelling like gas?

Anyone else sniffing this? Or have I completely lost it?

Reply to
Rod

That would be the Brussels sprouts then. Sorry, gets hat and coat. Exit stage left.

Reply to
Nick

:-)

Actually I do almost all the cooking. Can't stand the damn things but will do them for partner. Often get complaints of them being underdone - but they stink when over-done and I won't put up with that!

Reply to
Rod

Both me and the rabbits prefer them raw! :-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

I find they're just the right size to squeeze into the payload bay of a party popper...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, it's funny how they pong a bit, but are delicious to eat! I hated them as a kid. My theory is that as we get older our taste buds wear out. so we need ever stronger flavours to taste anything. Maybe one day I shall even get to like Stilton...

MM

Reply to
MM

I remember some survival expert being interviewed on Radio 4. He described some incredibly disgusting things that he had eaten. The interviewer asked what was the most disgusting thing he had ever tasted and after a pause he replied 'Brussel Sprouts'.

I wouldn't go near a sprout if you paid me, but I love Stilton.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Interesting - found this on Wikipedia

Whatever cooking method is employed, overcooking is avoided. Overcooking releases the glucosinolate sinigrin, which has a sulfurous odor. The odor is the reason many people profess to dislike Brussel sprouts, if they've only tried them overcooked with the accompanying sulfuric taste and smell. Generally 6-7 minutes boiled or steamed is enough to cook them thoroughly, without overcooking and releasing the sinigrin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And gorgonzola, roquefort, goat cheese, and curry, and Marmite, and lots and lots of strongly flavoured foods. I'll even nibble a raw sprout if I have to. But *never* will a cooked one come near my mouth.

Reply to
Rod

In have noticed increased ground disturbance in the last week. It's particularly bad in one street where huge (4'x2' ?) paving slabs have lifted or fractured, tarmac has bulged and cracked, and in a few cases tarmac has split revealing holes beneath.

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few cracked gas mains appearing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Go to your local chinese supermarket and buy the king of fruit - durian

Reply to
geoff

I took my own advice and did not have a drink of any kind in hand or mouth before reading one of our responses. I chuckled.

Reply to
Clot

It's funny - I used to like brussels sprouts (but not many other vegetables) as a kid, but not any more.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I don't understand what all the excitement is about durian. The taste is a bit odd, and the entire office came in to ask who had the durian (this was in Djakarta) but it doesn't smell that strongly.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Odd ?

It's beautiful

Reply to
geoff

We had a water main burst on Thursday night (Central Scotland) - apparently cast iron and split all round. Street converted to ice rink.

What does gas smell like these days? Only have a boiler so can't have a test sniff...

Reply to
Geo

Same as ever (at least since natural gas). And given they have reduced the amount of smell they add, for it to be noticed takes significantly more gas than it used to.

Reply to
Rod

They also make a challenging but garden friendly air rifle target at 30m ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Only if they are moving. As a static target they are easy.

Reply to
dennis

That'll be the standby rink for the bonspiel?

Owain

Reply to
Owain