recommendations for gutter guards

Or ones to avoid ?

Don't know if its global warming ( :-0 ) but Ive just had to clean the gutters of leaves for the third time in as many weeks so it may be time to get some sort of gutter guard.

Managed to break my gutter paddle (piece of half moon shaped ply mounted on long thin lathe) but mounted this piece of ply on a telescoping Wolf pole saw. Excellent. Very light and stable with good long reach.

Reply to
fred

When we lived in the US, we found these worked great. No idea about finding them here, I haven't found the need.

Davey

are similar and have good reviews...

Reply to
Tim Watts

At an exhibition a year or two ago I came across a stall where a guy was selling open cell plastic foam for this purpose. He assured me it had a 15 year guarantee. I asked him if he saw himself still selling the stuff in 15 years' time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Looks very similar, indeed.

Reply to
Davey

It's not global warming, It's just autumn.

Reply to
ARW

What are those things called that look like chicken wire on a frame that you bend to fit? I never trusted them, as they seem to have no obvious means of staying where they are put other than weight. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Power washer with a long hose does a good job.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The same gutters might be full of snow in winter.

Reply to
ARW

Does it? So where does the crud go? Surely it either washes over the sides of the gutters - making a mess of your walls and windows - or it goes down the downpipes into the gulleys - making a good job of blocking them!

For least mess and overall effort, you need a means of getting the crud out of the gutters and into a container without spilling too much. I usually get my ladder out, and use a gloved hand and bucket. [A remotely operated scraper wouldn't work for me anyway, because I've got seamless aluminium gutters whose mounting brackets go across the top of the gutters at regular intervals. The brackets would get in the way of a scraper].

Reply to
Roger Mills

On 09 Nov 2014, "Phil L" grunted:

I've been using this stuff on a particular gutter which has always been very susceptible to blocking, for about 3 years now. It's been very good and maintenance-free so far TBH; the small stuff just doesn't seem to get in to the body of the bristles. Apparently does what it says on the tin

Reply to
Lobster

Doh!!

My point was I've had to do it three times this year instead of once. And you appear to have missed the smiley

Reply to
fred

Have you ever actually tried that ? F***ing nightmare. s**te blasted in all directions and downpipe blocked up.

Reply to
fred

David

very helpful.

Lots of products turned up by Google but I fear that none are perfect My fear is that over a period of time sufficient dirt would build up under most of them to allow weeds to grow so I would like a product that is easily removed and re-instated.

I notice clips being sold for the Hedgehog, are they necessary ?

I.Y.O is it easy to remove and replace ?

Thanks to all others for suggestions

Reply to
fred

That's OK. You have the tool in your hand to clear it up. Whole job much faster than raking it out & putting in a bucket. You put the ladder up next to the downpipe and blow the crap away from it. Takes about thirty seconds once you're up there.

Reply to
harryagain

On 10 Nov 2014, fred grunted:

Probably depends on the depth of the gutter and the degree of overhang of the tiles above... mine overhang quite a way, so that the bottom edge of the tiles pretty much hold the brush in place, and I don't have anything else.

I suppose if the brush were lying in a very exposed gutter,and it was completely dry, it could get blown out? Mine never has, and nor have I ever needed to remove it since installing it. I can't imagine you'd need much to hold it in position, if that did prove necessary - maybe the odd loop of wire? And that could probably be arranged so the brush just gets 'threaded' underneath them for removal.

A note of caution - when I first got mine (from an ebay seller), I was provided with a knock-off version which went straight back - nothing like a sgood as the real thing.

Reply to
Lobster

David

many thanks for the info and the caution

Reply to
fred