Rechargeable tools and decking advice please

=A0 =A0 London SW

A 50yr old 200w mains drill is fine for screwing things. The only downside is poorer control, you need to let go of the trigger before its fully home. And dont use it in the rain :)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hey, this group has added benefits - not only do I get good advice but things to make me smile too. :-))

Thank you one and all!!

Reply to
Clueless

I notice that more now I've switched from 1.3 a/hr Ni/Cds to 3 a/hr Ni/MH. Last for ages but piggin heavy!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't you start or I'll spray you with WD40 :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't know if they are any good, but I've seen adapters that look like a chuck, one end goes in your existing chuck, the other holds a screw and it's supposed to release at the right depth. I'm sure someone will be able to say if they are any good or need to be avoided, what they are called and where to find them.

Would something as simple as a dry-walling bit work? The ones that are a simple #2 bit with a plastic collar so that the bit comes out of the screwhead just below the surface?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm expecting that sort of adaptor to be delivered from Axminster tomorrow or Wednesday (when I'm not in, of course)

we'll soon see what it's like.

Reply to
PeterC

I've seen looks rather like a keyless chuck and holds the screw in the end with three or four ball bearings. Your is a more sophisticated version of the basic drywall bit

Steve Walker

In article , Clueless writes

If you're on a limited budget and this is pretty much a one off job then this combi should just about do the job:

wont last like a named tool but at 42quid it still has its place. Note that the code given is a time limited discounted code and that the full price of nearer 50quid inc vat takes it out of bargain territory.

Reply to
fred

nt to spend a wheelbarrow full of cash on it. Anyone with deck building exp= erience or anyone who's had to drive a lot of long screws who would care to= offer any tips and/or advice please on what to buy?

Swiftly bringing up the rear - if you've got a Wickes near by, have a look in there. I bought a cordless impact driver from them for my decking - decent pricing and the batteries are interchangable with some of their other tools. It gets a surprising amount of use screwing and drilling small holes even though the decking is done. And its nice and light.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

having counted up the number of long screws that will need to be dealt with, I've decided to look at an rechargeable screwdriver or drill/driver for the job as I don't feel the current rechargeable that I have is up to it. :-((

spend a wheelbarrow full of cash on it. Anyone with deck building experience or anyone who's had to drive a lot of long screws who would care to offer any tips and/or advice please on what to buy?

building tips would be much appreciated. The deck is at ground level and not attached to any structure.

Impact driver, once you've used one you'll never go back...

Reply to
AlanD