Rear light cluster lens plastic type please?

Rear light cluster lens plastic type please?

Dear All, Does anyone know the type of plastic that is typically used for the red/clear/amber car rear light cluster lenses please?

A quick search seems to lean towards polycarbonate. Although I thought it might be ABS.

I managed to crack ours whilst reversing into a tree....stupid I know!

Plastic type will depend on whether I can repair it or spend =A3=A3=A3 for = a replacement!

Has anyone any tips for repair please?

I might glue if an adhesive is available or plastic weld with soldering iron/blowtorch using the same type of plastic as a 'filler rod.'

Thanks.

Reply to
nick

Scrapyard is always a good choice for this sort of thing.

Reply to
Clive George

I've had good results by sticking all the parts together with insulation tape on the outside surface and then using real, slow cure araldite on the inside along all the cracks. Allow to cure in a warmish place for 24 hours. Then take off the tape.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In my case sticky out bit of a tail lift on a box truck. Picked up all the bits and super glued 'em back together. Being clean and fresh breaks they fit/lock together well and super glue is excellent with such joints.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most likely to be polycarbonate. Best glued using methacrylate (super glue).

However your problem is that it shatters when broken and you won't have all the bits. It is illegal to show a White light to the rear and police view holes or clear patches on lens as illegal.

Scrappie or new part is the best option.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Regardless of the glue used it's likely the cracks will still be visible. Which might be a problem at MOT time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would guess poly(methyl methacrylate) (Perspex) at the rear - polycarbonate more likely at the front for its impact resistance.

If it's PMMA then tensol cement will fix it if its a tight joint.

If it is PMMA then don't take a blowtorch to it - it can be highly flammable. I wouldn't try welding anyway - you are likely to end up with a mess.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Nick,

had the problem of a cracked rear light cluster some time ago - and found it easier and cheaper to replace it using the following 'scrappies' network for £35 inc delivery - complete with a 90 day guarantee and next day delivery:

last time I used these was a few months a go to replace a leaking fuel tank - main dealer price was in excess of £300 - cost from one of the participants in the above network (inc delivery) £54 complete with a 60 day guarantee. [1]

BTW, I am solely a satisfied customer, and have no professional/personal contacts with them.

Car is too bloody old and worn out to stand the cost of a new one, and a second hand tank will do until I find a replacement for the above car over the next couple of months.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Plus one.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

ABS usually, although clear covers (over coloured lenses) may be polycarbonate. Try looking for recycling marks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Would perspex have enough heat resistance?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

individual 'quotes' with what appears to be a mobile number to contact the supplier. No other supplier details are provided, not even a location.

Turns out that the 'mobile' number is in fact a 0703 premium rate number although there is no premium rate information provided in the email. Isn't this illegal?

Reply to
Andrew May

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:11:53 +0100, "Cash"

several places have quoted though as the prices can vary a lot !

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andrew,

Not sure about the mobile number. I've used these now for a number of years and the consortium companies of the group have *always* telephoned me on the home number that I supplied - and more often than not, I have received quotes for the parts that I require from at least three of these, *and* they always five their company name, point of contact and leave their company landline number for me to call them back if I accept their quote.

Must have a look at the site later on to see what's changed.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks all for replies and advice.

I will have a closer look for recycle marks and have several options for adhesive types to try. I will carry out some tests!

I did try a couple of online part finders and quotes were in the region of =A360 pounds. It's a Suzuki by the way, so I don't know if Japanese parts are more expensive?

Cheers!

Reply to
nick

Coloured tape from car shop outside, fill inside with clear epoxy. For common cars, "pattern" clusters from eBay are OK and much cheaper than dealer.

Reply to
Newshound

If it shattered it certainly wasn't polycarbonate.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Polycarbonate sheet shatters when broken. If you doubt it, here's what to do. Take a CD, fold it in half. Then spend the rest of the evening picking splinters of polycarbonate from your hair, eyes and clothing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Dear All,

Closer inspection tonight in the correct light has revealed it as being PMMA. Acrylic in other words!

It did indeed have recycling (not the conventional triangular arrow symbol) marks not immediately obvious.

The bulb mount rear moulding is PP (polypropylene).

I should easily be able to repair with the correct adhesive/cement.

Many thanks for all replies!

Reply to
nick

Yeah, I just had a look - it seems eager to divert you to phone enquiries

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan